chapter ten

EARLY AUTUMN, 2018
"What if I'm down? What if I'm out? What if I'm someone you won't talk about? I'm falling again, I'm falling again, I'm fallin'."
Harry Styles, Falling

"... Lou."

Harry never caught someone so fast.

He stumbled as he adjusted to the new weight in his arms, grasping onto the small boy tightly. Soft hair brushed his cheek and a giggle floated through the room as the boy wrapped his legs around Harry's waist.

"'Azzie!" Louis yelled, squeezing his arms around the older's neck. "'Azzie!"

Harry shut his eyes and took a shaky breath, rubbing his hands up and down Louis' back. "Louis... oh God..." He gently placed the teen onto the ground, but that only resulted in Louis wrapping his arms around Harry's waist.

He felt dizzy. His throat went dry. He felt arms squeeze his torso as his ears clogged up, and the sounds coming from the younger's mouth became quieter, until Harry heard nor saw nothing of the present, only the past.

SUMMER, 2008
"Gems cut some apples for us, LouLou!" Harry smiled, tickling Louis' side.

The boy giggled, squirming around in the grass. "No ta-chie, 'Azzie!" He demanded, taking the pink bowl and holding it to his chest. He took a slice and put it into his mouth, nibbling on it as he stared back at Harry with wide eyes.

Harry laughed, reaching out to take one. "Yummy?" He asked, receiving a nod from the younger. Harry placed the slice into his mouth, and took a bite, gasping at the sharp pain he felt in his gums. The apple fell from his lips, and he whimpered when he saw blood. A soft cry sounded as his baby tooth landed in his hand, and the cries only got louder when he realized he lost his tooth.

Louis gasped, eyes widening in shock and fear. Why is Hazzie crying? Is he okay? Louis dropped the bowl, ignoring the apple slices that littered the ground and launched into action. He crawled toward his best friend, curling up at his side and nuzzling his neck. "Wou here, 'Az," he whispered, giving Harry Peter Rabbit to cuddle.

While in his best friend's arms, Harry's cries subsided just as Troy rushed to see what the commotion was about.

Harry felt his arms wrap around Louis, squeezing him close.

LATE SPRING, 2010
"Can't catch me, Lou!" Harry giggled, swerving around the tree and launching onto the trampoline. "I'm safe!" He declared.

Louis whined, running after him clumsily.

"Be careful, boys!" Anne called out.

A piercing scream brought the mother's and son's attention to the grass, where eight year old Louis was clutching his leg, sobbing loudly.

Harry jumped down from the trampoline, rushing over to Louis. "Lou!" Harry took notice of the bloody knee Louis was sporting and frowned, wrapping his arms around the small boy. "It's okay, it's okay. Auntie Anne is comin'." He assured, pressing a gentle kiss to Louis' temple as Anne went to get the First Aid kit.

In attempt to distract Louis from the pain, Harry began to sing. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you..."