chapter six

EARLY SPRING, 2014
Some things you just can't prepare for.

         "Lou, baby!" Troy called, placing his keys on the island along with his work bag. "Come see daddy!"

         Louis squealed, waddling into the kitchen. He giggled, looking up at his father from behind his stuffed koala bear. "'i, 'i, dahdee!"

         The man smiled fondly, crouching down and opening his arms. "Come give daddy cuddles, angel."

         Louis smiled, shaking his head and running out of the kitchen, giggling as he hid behind Gemma's legs, peeking out from behind them.

         "Oh no! Where is my little angel? I think I lost him! Gemma, have you seen a cute little boy anywhere?" Troy asked the blonde woman, shielding his eyes with his hand as he looked around the living area. He checked behind the couch and even under Louis' toys, frowning deeply. "I wonder were he is. I was going to give him some sugar cookies from work, but I guess I'll have to eat them all by myself." He sighed.

         Louis gasped, dropping his stuffy and running over to his father. "Dahdee, dah! 'i, 'i, 'i! I Lou!" The teen chanted.

         Troy smiled, effortlessly picking up the boy and putting him over his shoulder. "There's my Lou!" He laughed, spinning the boy around. Louis giggled loudly, throwing his head back.

         Gemma smiled at the pair, laughing along with them. Once Louis was put down, he immediately ran over to her, jumping into the woman's arms.

         "Hi, baby," Gemma smiled, kissing his forehead.

         "Thank you so much for watching him, Gem. I know it was extremely last minute. It means a lot to me. Are you sure you don't want anything?" Troy said, walking into the kitchen to grab his wallet. "Name your price."

         Gemma shook her head, placing Louis in his high chair and handing him a piece of a cookie. "Don't worry about it, Troy. I love spending time with the little bug. He is the cutest, the little brother I wish I had but I was stuck with Harry instead," she teased, glancing back at her neighbor.

         "I insist," Troy pushed, handing her three £20 notes. "Thank you."

         Gemma rolled her eyes, sighing dramatically as she took the notes. "Thanks." She smiled.

         Troy nodded happily, looking over at his son, who was munching on the cookie. He leaned to the side, coughing into his elbow roughly. Suddenly, his vision blurred, and dizziness took over. He blindly reached his hand out to grab onto the island, coughing into his hand.

         Gemma frowned, stepping closer to the man. "Troy... are you okay?"

         The man glanced down at his hand, watching as the red blood darkened his skin.

         "Oh my god! Troy!"

• • •

SUMMER, 2014
"Never say goodbye,
because saying goodbye means going away,
and going away means forgetting."
–Peter Pan