chapter three

MID-AUTUMN, 2001
New beginnings are often disguised
as painful endings.

          "Well, Mister Austin, we will continue to look into this, but with this case, I feel the law is on our side. Especially with the recent DNA tests concluding Louis is positively your son. We will have to wait until the child is born to see if they are Mister Tomlinson's." Mister Simon Cowell stated, tapping the files in his hands on the table to straighten them out. "The one issue is that you two are not married in the eyes of the law. But, I don't think that will affect our case greatly," he nodded, standing up. "Next Monday we will meet with Miss Poulston and her lawyer, if that works with y–"

          "Ah! Da! Oh-a-ah!" Giggled the naked, nine month old baby as he quickly crawled into the kitchen. "Da! Uh, uh." He whined, going over to his dad, sitting flat on his bum and putting his hand in his mouth.

           Gemma was not far behind him, holding a fresh diaper and a tiger stuffed animal. Her cheeks turned red with embarrassment as she noticed the two men looking at her and the baby. "I'm sorry, Troy. Haz and I couldn't hold him back, he wanted his dad." She explained, glancing back as Harry waddled his way over, holding onto his older sister's leg.

           "Sowwy."

           "It's completely fine," Simon smiled, grabbing his briefcase and placing the papers inside. "I'm just heading out, anyway. Thank you for meeting with me, Troy. You surely have a daddy's boy on your hands."

           Troy chuckled, picking up his son. "Since birth," he agreed, kissing Louis' head. "I'll show you out," he insisted, handing the small boy to Gemma and leading Simon out, shutting the door behind him.

           Anne walked over to him and gently placed her hand on his shoulder. "She was my best friend... I thought we told each other everything," she sighed. "I can't believe she'd do this to Louis, to you."

           Troy sighed, turning to look at the woman. "I didn't ask you to come over to side with me. She's your friend, Anne, I don't expect you to bash her just because she hurt me."

          "She didn't just hurt you, Troy, she hurt Louis. Her son, for Christ's sake. Over these past couple months, I've grown to adore Louis. He is the sweetest little thing, reminds me so much of Harry. Anyone who would put their selfishness in front of their child's happiness is no friend of mine."

• • •

LATE AUTUMN, 2001
There is a difference between giving
up and knowing when you have had enough.

          "I hate you, Troy," Jay snapped, throwing the papers at him, resting her hand on her growing baby bump. "I can't believe you'd even dare try to take my son from me, you sick fuck."

          "I just love how you call him your son, like you actually love him," Troy laughed bitterly, shaking his head. "If you really loved my son, you wouldn't have cheated on his father. If you really loved him, you wouldn't have driven a wedge between us, his parents. "You are selfish, Johannah."

          Jay sighed, brushing her fingers through her long, brown hair. "Troy, I love you so much, and I love Louis. He's my baby, my first born. How about we start over again? I don't want to lose you, please don't give up on me." She pleaded, biting her lip.

          "It's not giving up, Jay. I've had enough. I've had enough of you trying to defend yourself. There is absolutely no reason on this fucking planet for you to do that to my Louis, our Louis. He doesn't deserve this." He said, zipping up his jacket as he walked out of the courthouse and to his car.