ONE

Dave Travers huddled in the shelter of the doorway, trying to keep out the biting cold night air, whilst he smoked his cigarette. He exhaled the smoke in a long breath as he now broodily glanced down the alley behind the nightclub, where he worked as a bouncer.  He was enjoying the few moments solitary time. He needed this break, and he was glad his fellow Bouncer, Joe was happy enough to cover for him for ten minutes.

He couldn't be around all those happy smiling people. piling in and out of the club right now, as he was far from happy himself.

His  own foul mood was caused by the news he had received earlier in the day, from his ex-wife Shauna, informing him that she and her new partner Phil, were moving to Spain to live. Dave didn't particularly care about Shauna and Phil going to Spain, but what he did object to, was the fact they would be also taking five-year-old Mikey. his son with them.

It was hard enough that  he only got to see Mikey once a week, since he and his wife split up just over two years ago, after she had cheated on him, then left him to go off with Phil. But taking him to Spain, would mean Dave would be even less in his son's life

Shauna had started on him, because Dave was angry, and objected to their great plans. But  what did she expect? That he was just going to roll over, and just let her take their son away, and wish them well?

Bloody Phil had decided he wanted to open a Pouncey wine bar in Spain apparently, and he wanted to make a better life, with what was once, his, Dave's family. Taking them out of the country, thousands of miles away. Of course, he was pissed about it.

He could have happily skipped work tonight, when he really wanted to go around and grab Phil by the throat, only Dave needed the money from this job badly, even if the pay wasn't great.

He really didn't need to hear Shauna, remind him what a failure he was, that he couldn't hold a job down for long, or be a responsible parent and provide for Mikey, like Phil could. So, justify their move to Spain.

What she seemed to forget, was that Dave had been doing well; he had been a Sergeant in the Irish rifles regiment, and he had been providing well for her and their son, when they were together. That was until she ruined it, having an affair with this Phil, her boss who owned the café where Shauna had worked part time.

When she walked out on Dave, his world had all fallen apart, his marriage, his career.

He had spent a lot of time getting drunk and getting into fights, and then was dismissed for his unruly behaviour. He hadn't really cared at the time, because he felt there was nothing there for him any more in the army, just reminders of what his wife had done to him, and what he had lost.

He was just starting to pick up his life again, when she laid this this latest blow on him today.

Dave was really hoping that a few of the punters in the club played up tonight, and he would have to deal with them. He could do with knocking a few heads together to help vent his frustration with the goings-on in his personal life, seeing he couldn't take a pop at Phil.

But gloomily he realised it was unlikely, as the club owner, John Harrington's daughter was holding some sort of charity event that evening in the club. So, it was mostly 'big-wigs' and dignitaries attending, and they would more or less, be all on their best behaviour.

Taking one last drag from his cigarette, he flicked what was left of his cigarette butt on the damp ground in front of him, realising he had better get back. It was almost midnight, and they would be starting to pile out of the place soon.

He just wanted the night to be over, so he could go home have a drink, and brood all to himself about his latest predicament.

With hunched shoulders, and his hands deep in his trouser pockets, he started to hurriedly walk out of the alleyway to go up the side street then around the building to the front door, which situated on the main road.