Countdown

I slammed the door behind me, wheezing a bit. I had escaped the fire with only the tail end of my braid singed. My elixir had been correct. I didn't know how much time had passed, but I knew I didn't have time to rest. Water seeped into my boots. Surveying the room for the next challenge, I noticed the slanted floor, getting deeper like a zero entry pool. In the deepest part were three floating targets, each pulsing pink. A simple bow and quiver of three arrows leaned against the wall behind me. The challenge was easy enough to figure out. I only had one small dilemma- I was really bad at shooting.

I pulled the first arrow from the quiver, now slung across my back. It surprised me with a forked point that glowed yellow. Of course! Vah Ruta was only vulnerable to shock arrows, and so were the Zora. If my arrow missed and landed in the water, the shock could carry downriver and harm or kill anyone in contact with it. I looked down. I was in contact with the water. I wasn't a Zora, but this trial could still prove fatal. Time was ticking, and I couldn't stall any longer. My hands shook as I drew back the first shot.

One.

Two.

Three.

Thump.

The projectile struck the cylindrical target, discharging the shock and changing its pulsing light to blue. The sweat spots under my arms grew outwards. Two to go.

The second shot was the same as the first. As I prepared to take my third and final shot, my palms grew so sweaty that I could feel the heat of an oncoming shock. I hastily drew back and fired but was too late. The arrow soared and I let out a yelp, cradling my electrified hand.

The arrow wobbled on one prong at the edge of the target. I counted the heartbeats until the time that it either turned blue or fell off and killed me. 63 pulses that could have been my last.

The water slowly began to drain, revealing a door at the bottom of the pool. Stumbling a little, I made my way down the slope and pushed my way through to the final challenge. There was no doubt I was running out of precious time. However, my breathless lungs almost quit right then and there when I saw the last thing guarding the exit.

A mobile guardian, now awake and aiming at my head. It was a recipe for a perfect storm.

The beast fired a laser and I rolled into the small chamber. There was nothing to hide behind, and only a silver Zora shield was available in the far corner. Something flashed red. A clocked appeared above the final door, reading ten minutes.

Oh my Goddess.

Another laser fired, leaving a sizable dent in the middle of my shield. Performing a perfect guard would be the only way to survive this.

No. No no no no no.

One wrong move, and I would leave my whole body vulnerable.

Crouching behind the shield, I squeezed my eyes shut and mumbled prayers to the goddess Hylia. I wished I could curl up into a tiny ball and disappear. The tiny Guardian scuttled toward my little corner, creating another dent in my barrier. It was now or never.

The clock pulsed extra bright, alerting me that I only had five minutes remaining. Hoisting myself off the floor, I stood and faced the guardian. Blue light flashed and I swung my shield, deflecting the laser off to ricochet around the room and fizzle out. I was late. The condition of the shield told me that I only had one more chance. My tunic stuck to my body with sweat and my head swam, but I squared my shoulders and set my brow.

Another flash of blue light, and I lunged, forcing every ounce of my being into that action. My quads burned and my ears shrieked. Every muscle in my figure tensed and prepared to die. Instead, I heard the clash of metal and slow release of steam. Beams of light slashed through the now cloudy room and my foe disappeared, leaving five cogs at my feet. A panel on the door slid open, revealing five slots for gears to operate. 30 seconds. 20 seconds. 10 seconds. No matter what I tried, they wouldn't fit.

Click. One.

Click. 2. 3.

Seven...six...five...

One second remaining.

The fifth gear slid in and turned, lifting the heavy metal bars.

2 tenths of a second. That's when the clock stopped.

As I stepped into the elevator, I felt lighter. I had passed the test!

King Dorephan was waiting for me under his throne room. Suddenly I was aware of how disheveled I probably looked.

"Congratulations, Champion Mipha," he rumbled with a smile. "You passed your trial."

These are a few videos that inspired great emotions in me. I feel like they match the Zelda series quite well, so please enjoy. Happy Holidays!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy7blaYGJHk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Ux9XRa-ww

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvJ5FyM6cI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RT3W0cUnTmI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyOMZaOFRc