Training

Our training started the next day. After lots of double and triple checking our bags, each Champion departed to their respective domains. Daruk, Urbosa and Revali were all excited to see their families and childhood friends, but unlike the others, I would be leaving my hometown. The other three departed on horseback (Daruk rode in a small chariot). I busied myself with checking the cinch straps one last time. The king was watching me, and he knew I was hesitating. I heaved a great sigh, and with one last longing glance at the castle, I kicked my horse into a gallop towards the Zora's Domain.

A cool breeze carried the scent of woodland blossoms, and the sun filtered through the canopy, warming my skin. Only after I had left home did the anxieties start trickling in. I was totally alone. Would I make friends or be shunned? What if I couldn't control Vah Ruta? Over bridges and through forests I traveled. I willed myself not to be too overwhelmed. I couldn't arrive crying. By the time I approached the shining blue gates, I had let one or two tears slip. Stop acting like a crybaby. The sheer beauty of the Zora's Domain overcame me like a wave. Precisely carved arches lined the glimmering bridges. Light danced on the cascading waterfalls and blue crystal towers. Zora youth splashed in clear pools, and adults went about their business, trading in the markets or working on the architecture. I couldn't believe I missed all of it after my trial. Prince Sidon was strolling down the bridge towards me. He flashed one of his signature smiles and extended his arms in a grand sweep.

"Welcome to Zora's Domain!" He called. "Pipa, could you take care of Mipha's horse?" A smaller green Zora emerged from behind Sidon and took the reins of my horse after I slid off and grabbed my bags. He led the steed down the trail towards the nearest stable.

"Thank you," I said, and Sidon winked.

"The king extends his welcome and thanks. Unfortunately, he is tending to an emergency at the moment. I'll give you the grand tour, ending with your quarters for the month! Rulo will take your bags."

Another Zora servant appeared and carried away my luggage. I felt like royalty.

"Say, your name sounds like a Zora name. If you don't mind my asking, how did you get it?"

I knew that I had a Zora name instead of a usual Hylian title, but it was never questioned.

"My mother had a friend. A best friend, actually. She was a Zora, but she and her husband were killed in a lightning storm while traveling home from a lake where her parents were retired. It was tragic, really. She had always wanted a baby girl named Mipha, so my mom named me to honor her."

Sidon looked distant. As soon as we arrived at the first place on our tour, the marketplace, he snapped out of his daze. The tour was nice, but I still had no idea how to navigate the place. I crashed into my bed that evening. Exhausted, I fell asleep in moments while listening to the trickle of waterfalls outside the palace tower window.

***

Days in the kingdom of Vah Ruta turned into weeks. Every day I reported to the library to pour over manuals and blueprints of the Divine Beast. I memorized every button and lever in the control room. The giant mechanical wonder was always there in the East Reservoir, and I could always feel its presence. I felt like it was testing me, challenging me just by existing. Did I really know how to make water spray out of the trunk? It was perfect motivation to keep studying. The second week in the Zora's Domain, Sidon took me to try piloting Vah Ruta for the first time. Everything went well, but the seriousness of my role suddenly became apparent. I would have to prevail in battle, not my weapon. Nervous energy took over. I needed to go somewhere to recenter. I made sure Prince Sidon knew where I was going, then fetched my horse and set off to the Spring of Power.

The fountain bubbled from unseen sources. A golden aurora surrounded the statue of Goddess Hylia as I approached, stepping through the thin layer of water on the stone path.

I stopped dead in my tracks.

There, right in front of the statue, kneeling in a praying position, was Link.

I considered my options. Should I leave him alone and come back later?

"Link?"

He turned around, eyes wide.

I whispered in the quiet of the woods. "We must have had the same idea."