Trials

This story is based off of a dream, with the holes filled in by my conscious mind. That said, there are a few things to clear up so that-hopefully-it's not too confusing.

Here, Mipha is a Hylian. She doesn't have healing powers. Also, the events take place before Ganon rises, and the Champions are killed. Frankly, I am a Zelink supporter myself, but Mipha is one of my favorite characters (besides Link and Zelda.) That said, I think that Mipha deserves some attention, and I'm going to try to empathize with her as I write. 

We walked through the threshold and into the shrine. It wasn't like any other shrine we'd been to, underground and secret. It was almost like a courtyard with an open ceiling. The sun glittered down, highlighting the mossy walls and vines full of tiny white flowers. The ancient ruins engraved into the walls made the place feel sacred; a place full of stories. Two decayed guardians sat at each end of the room, a set of stairs between them. A glowing orange orb sat in the middle. Ultimately, we had to use the orange orb to destroy the guardians. Even though it was just a trial to see if we were ready to pilot the real Devine Beasts, I was still nervous. It was my only secret from the public, and I didn't like it that even the other champions knew I had anxiety. To be honest, I don't know why King Roham chose me. The Zora chose not to send anyone to the trials, so he chose a second Hylian, me. I know I was supposed to be one of the smartest girls in my old high school, but compared to Link, I didn't think I really had anything special to contribute to the battle against Ganon.

My other secret, one that even the other champions didn't know, was that I had a MAJOR crush on the appointed knight. I hoped that one day, once everything had gone back to normal, we could spend a little time together off the training field. For now, I'd have to settle for his veil of silence.

The other champions began their trials. Revali passed with ease, Daruk with strength, and Urbosa with grace. Then it was my turn. You can do it, Mipha. Taking a deep breath, I crept to the blindspot of the guardian. I pictured it in my head: I would swing to the top of the staircase, the guardians would aim at me, I would jump to the orb and stand on top of it. When the guardians shot, I would jump up and out of the center, the lasers deflecting off the orb and destroying the ancient beasts.

My trial began. I was coiling, springing, leaping toward the orb, then falling, falling down to the grass below. My body thudded against the ground. I heard the guardians' warnings, then the dreaded sound of the lasers charging and firing, all four light beams hitting my chest. The shame hit harder than the theoretical death. I stood up and glanced around at the others. Revali was perched in the ceiling corner smirking. Urbosa and Daruk stood at the other end of the shrine, observing with concern. Link was behind me, waiting for his turn. I could always feel his presence, but when I turned around his stare was as solemn as ever.

"I-I'll try again."

Dusting myself off, I began my second attempt. Swing, jump, thump. I made the first leap to the orb. Three, Two, One- I sprung, but the sphere below my feet rolled out from under me and I landed face first in the grass. Again. This time, a warm liquid was dripping over my lip into my mouth. I tasted the blood, not wanting to face my friends. The guardians shot again. I knew I had already broken the rules- you only get one shot and you either pass or you fail. I, obviously, had failed. Epically. Slowly, I stood up, wiped the blood from my face, and walked over to join Urbosa and Daruk. Urbosa gave me a quick, concerned side glance. Great.

Link went last. He always did. I watched his swift, graceful movements as he traveled around the shrine. Boom. One guardian down. Boom. Two. Three. Four. Watching his success only made me feel more useless, and more lovestruck. And then it happened. The orange orb in the middle began to glow, shaking and jerking in the air. Link's eyes went from ocean blue to a fiery red, and he collapsed.

"LINK!" I shouted, running to aid him.

"You can't help him with his challenge, Mipha. Haven't you broken enough rules?" Revali taunted.

"This isn't normal," I yelled. "It must be a glitch with the technology. He's-"

Suddenly he sprang on me, a malice in his eyes I had never seen. I went from concerned about him to outright terrified for myself. He pinned me. I kicked, throwing him back a little. We tussled, and I threw punches and kicks just to avoid being pinned to the ground again. The sword he carried would deliver a quick death.

I heard the others yelling, but all their sound was muffled to me. I was still fighting, and getting exhausted. A fist connected with my jaw, making colors dance in the light. He had me down again, and I felt as though my heart would give out before he could even kill me. I stared at his deep eyes again, thinking that I hated seeing him like this for the last time. And then he just fell. Collapsed like a house of cards, right on top of me. I wriggled out and Urbosa pulled me up so I could lean on her muscular body. Revali and Daruk helped Link get up.

"Link," I said, a little weaker this time. My vision was bleary. As he was guided over towards us, he kept his gaze down. Then I exploded.

"I'm so sorry! I never meant to hurt you! L-Link, I-I-punched you and k-kicked you and I'm so sorry! Are y-you okay?"

Link's last glance was perhaps the most painful, his blue eyes unreadable for the second that lasted an eternity. I sank to the shrine floor, wondering what was to become of myself. What was to become of us.

I am only about halfway through Breath of the Wild, so I will probably try to add parts to this story as I finish and gain a better understanding of the real story. I have to say, the ending is terrible. When I woke up after this dream, the emotions lasted the entire day. Thank you so much for poking your head into my little story. It means a lot!