Chapter Fifteen

"You love her! I knew it!" Avery screamed, jumping up and down whilst clapping her hands. 

"Shhh," I gestured with my finger to my lips. 

"It's fine. I checked on Rowan she's taking a nap, so are you going to tell her?" 

"I don't know if it's the right time." 

"You never told me exactly what you fought about," Avery ran her hand along the bottom of her chin in a thoughtful manner. 

"The bottom line is that Rowan thinks she's not good enough for me. The past is haunting her." 

"Oh, that definitely reminds me of someone," Avery laughed, slapping me playfully across the chest. 

"Maybe introducing her to the family wasn't a good idea," I picked up my beer again and took a couple of sips. 

"It wasn't a bad idea, but you have to remember that Rowan isn't accustomed to a family like ours. Her parents didn't love her and she's been estranged from her brother for eight years." 

"God," I slapped the palm of my hand into my forehead, "I've been wanting to tell her about Katrina and I was waiting for the right time..." 

"Don't blame yourself, I don't think there's ever a right time to tell someone something like that." 

"Rowan was always going to freak out at the news, wasn't she?" I murmured. 

"After what she's been through, yes," Avery walked over to the fridge and took out another beer, she knocked off the cap with the opener that was hung on the wall.

"It's better she knows the truth though, honesty is the best way to start a relationship," Avery cooed, she took the empty bottle from my hand and shoved the new one at me as I sighed.

"It took you two years before you started feeling better again, it's only been a couple of months for Rowan, she's already dealing with this much quicker than you did but just remember to give her some time," Avery placed her hands on her hips, "and space if she needs it." 

"Thank you," I bent over and gave Avery a gentle kiss on her cheek. "You're the best." 

"I know." 

"I'm going to go..." 

"Yeah, go do your thing, loverboy," Avery winked and I laughed, with my beer in hand I went to the bedroom. 

Creeping open the door I saw that the duvet had been pulled back but Rowan wasn't in bed. I placed my beer down on the bedside table, threw my jacket onto the bottom of the bed and took my boots off. 

"Rowan?" I called out but there was no answer, the bathroom door was shut so I assumed she was in there. 

Just as I was about to get up off the bed the bathroom door opened and Rowan walked out. Glancing up she looked startled to see me sitting here on the bed. "I didn't hear you come in. I was peeing." 

"I figured," I laughed. 

Rowan came and got back underneath the duvet and I immediately delved into my feelings, "I'm sorry..." I cooed. 

"Aidan, don't..." Rowan sighed and shook her head to signal that I shouldn't continue. "Get into bed with me." 

I stared at her for a moment as she settled down into the pillow and I quickly followed suit. I laid on my side just as Rowan turned to face me. 

"Was this our first fight?" I asked sheepishly. 

"I think so," Rowan giggled, clearly relieved that the tension had dispersed.