Smiled For Real

If I had to say one positive thing about English court it would be that I don't have to try so hard to lie and conceal my emotions. The English sheeps  take most things at face value compared to other courts. They don't dig to deep about things if it doesn't seem important at the time.

So, when I arrived and put on a half assed  smile I knew they thought it was genuine.

I didn't really know anybody in England that wasn't family and none of my very big family ever attended English court. And Martha doesn't count, she only went to cheat on her husband. Love runs don't count for visits.

But to be honest it was kind of tame.  Compared to home at least, where there was so much chatter you couldn't hear the person next to you.

Here people whispered but not as quietly as they should. It didn't mean that I wasn't sick of it all by the end of the first day.

I was welcomed along side some ambassadors which gave me an idea of what Henry expects from me. I really should talk to him soon but I rather watch court drama peacefully for another two days.

I met a lady of Queen Catherine this morning. I can see why so many ladies at court can't stand them.  They walk around like they have somewhere better to be, they act like they are saints without any sin. But no human is free of sin, not even the Queen herself. I find it very obnoxious that they parade around being all forgiving like God and yet they are human. In the human plain.

In short I just want to drown one of them. Why can't they act like normal young ladies, who gossip and giggle!? At least then they'd be easier to fucking talk to. The whole "holier than thou" act is really obnoxious.

The only good thing about them is that they don't know when to shut up about their Queen. It's funny really. They talk about her like she's their God.

So far I found out that Henry might be trying for a divorce because Catherine can no longer give him an heir, paired with his bullshit excuse and Anne's charm. One thing I learned as a wife is to never underestimate a lady with charm and breasts.

I couldn't deal with the headache of court today.  So I decided to take a little break from reality and just relax. I need to keep myself from getting wrinkles and worry lines like all the old Queens of Europe get. I've been through too much shit to get wrinkles now.

And yes I do realize how vain I sound.

I decided to take my mental break in the gardens to drown in the aroma of lilac and roses. It was nice to say the least.

Not as grand as Paris or home but still just as aesthetically pleasing.

It did it's job of distraction well. There were butterflies everywhere! As a child I loved to chase butterflies daily in the spring dew, Mother would get so upset at me and yell.

"You dirty girl," she'd shout at the top of her shrewish lungs.
I remember vividly how she'd grab my arm and use her claws to draw me back to my rooms.

She'd sit me down as soon as we were in my Chambers and have me changed then she begun to brush my hair roughly. As if she were trying to pull out peices of my brain, along side my hair.

"You act no better than an I'll bred urchin," she'd hiss out like Medusa.

Looking at butterflies is a nice distraction. Or at least it was until a woman walked up to me. She looked and acted so important I almost felt bad for whomever's balls she burst to be here. To stand with such confidence and pride.

She wore a French styled gown with diamonds around her wrists and neck. Like shiny chains, but chains no less. Her hair was half up half down in braids and forced curls. She had red lips but green sleeves. Her dress was most likely of crushed velvet.

She curtseyed to me politely and when she saw I made no move to reciprocate her movement, I could faintly see her face turn red hot under a sheet of ivory white paint. It was quite funny.

"I do not believe we have met," she begins in a snuddish tone of plain arrogance. "but I am Anne Boleyn!"

She sounded so prideful. I can understand why she'd boast to me though. I have no doubt in my mind she knew who I was and was trying to make an impression. Not a good one, but an impression.

I think to myself, how can the King stand these women? It is true, Anne Boleyn is a beauty, with her womanly charm, but that fades. With all due time I'm sure the King will take others and see just how horrid a woman's rage can be. But then again Anne is a woman with a plan so I'm more than confident that she'd figure something out for herself.

"A pleasure I'm sure. I am Cassandra Coastale, of Greece and Morea," I hold my head up, as to hold my eyes and seem luminous.

I learned this trick from my mother and cousins. Intimidating other women was how you make enemies out of allies and allies out of weak enemies. Anne has the King's eyes but England means nothing to me. I am here on behalf of an alliance and for safety. If I am dissatisfied I could start an all out world war.

Anne smiles tightly at first then realization dawns onto her. She bows once again, but much lower this time. I can tell she's shaking lightly, out of fear or anger I can't be sure, and I look behind her.

King Henry and his entourage were coming forth. Most likely to meet Anne.

"Rise, m'lady. For your dashing lover comes near and I'd hate to embarrass you."

My voice is flat and tired from this whole interaction. Anne rises and looks behind herself and indeed sees her love the King.

He was right in front of her before she knew what was happening. She goes to curtsy- "Your majesty-" she is cut off by his hand and his voice.

"My beautiful Cassandra," he addresses me," what a lovely surprise."

He hose to kiss my hand before I interrupt. I step back from him and smile coyly, I don't be want his lips anywhere near me.

"King Henry, I do believe it is not much a surprise, you did so graciously invite me to court this late spring. So of course, I'd be in the gardens."

He grabs my hand anyway and kisses it.

Anne is fuming behind him, she looks ready to choke us both out.

"Well, now I know when to find you if I ever seek your company~" he purrs.

It's not as sweet as he'd like to think. More so annoying. I don't like how he talks at all.

He sounds like a bad imitation of him and no one had the right to try to be him. He was dead. I know that. And I don't want him back.

I smiled at the King , not a real smile, then I looked the green sleeved monster in the eyes.

"As lovely as this second encounter was, I would much like to talk professionally. Hopefully tomorrow?"

"Of course."

And with out diplomatic farewells I was alone once more and the King was with his mistress. All was how it should be.

I was left to my thoughts. Which nowadays I've learned is not the best thing.