THE WALK

I was confused. Why would he say competition? Maybe popularity or something because Daniel has the potential to be more popular than James. I doubt it had to do anything with me.

After school I was walking towards the front of the school to meet up with Lenny because Tre and Kathy had practice after school. When I felt a hand on my shoulder and my first instinct was to flinch.
"Hey, it's just me" said Daniel with a reassuring smile.

"Oh whats up"

"Not much. Are you going to walk home?"

"Yea but I'm waiting on my friend, Lenny" I said. Then my phone buzzed.

LENARDO🤡
I'm staying for theatre today. I'm sorry I can't walk you :(

(me)
It's ok. Good luck with auditions💕

LENARDO🤡
Thanks, love<3

"Well Lenny's not coming" I said with a monotone voice.

"Do you want me to walk with you?" Daniel asked with a smile.

"No it's fine. I live pretty close" I live within about a thirty minute walk from school.

"Come on, it's the least I can do." Daniel insisted.

"Well ok" God I hope he wasn't a psycho.

"So that James guy... does he always treat you like that?" Daniel asked as we began to walk.

"James and I used to be pretty close in elementary but we went to different middle schools and when I saw him here our freshman year he pretended not to know me. And he's been treating me like trash since." I say while looking at the ground while we walked.

"Not to invade your personal space but I don't think you should let him treat you like that. It isn't right. You're a person and you seem like a pretty fucking cool one, he should have some respect." Daniel said with a bit of anger in his voice. My cheeks turned a bit red.

"Anyways can I have your number? Just in case there's an emergency." asks Daniel
I smiled and nodded. He handed me his phone and I handed him mine.

After that we changed the subject and spoke about why he moved. Apparently his mom got a job here at a local private elementary as a principal. I thought it was pretty cool. I told him that he could sit with me and my friends at lunch if he wanted. He said he would love to. We made it to my house and I thanked him for walking me and he gave me a friendly side hug and left. 

Technically Tre's house but I've been living with Tre and his family since my parents died in a car crash when I was 12. Tre's parents were like my parents. My aunt Jody was a nurse and she was my moms older sister. My uncle Jordan was mechanic that owned the local car body shop. They were usually never home. But I enjoyed the silence. They all came home at around 7pm and at that time we would eat dinner and talk about our day.

THE NEXT MORNING

I got up a little earlier today and decided to try a bit more on my outfit. I put on a black long sleeve shirt with some blue skinny jeans. I was told that wearing black makes you look thin. And that's what I wanted. I didn't feel fat but with my tormentors from school reminding me every 10 minutes, I had no choice but to believe that I was fat and ugly. I brushed my curls a bit and went downstairs. Tre was all ready to leave with his keys in his hand.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Sure" I said even if I actually wanted to eat breakfast. On our way to school Tre took a different route but I didn't question it. I looked at my phone because I was busy playing candy crush when I didn't even realize Tre had driven to the Duncan Donuts not too far from school. He knew I loved coffee and donuts.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"You deserve it" Tre said winking.

We ordered our food through the drive through. Tre ordered a croissant with a black coffee while I ordered a chocolate covered donut with an iced coffee.

When we arrived at school I thanked Tre for the breakfast. I managed to eat my donut on our way to school but I still had some iced coffee left in the cup. I got off and made my way to my first period. I was a bit early but then everyone started to show up. James came in laughing with his friends but became tense when he saw me. During the class he kept giving me death glares. It was intimidating but I didn't let myself show that. After class ended everyone packed their things and began walking out but I was busy with all my books so I took a bit longer. I thought I was the only one in the classroom but I looked up to see a very angry looking James.

"what?" I responded dryly

"Why were you walking with that douche bag yesterday?"

"why are you stalking me?" i asked confused and a bit scared.

"You didn't answer my question"

"And neither did you" I said as I started making my way out of class when I feel a tight grasp on my wrist. I look and see James hand grabbing my wrist and his face looked like he could kill someone.

"WHAT" I asked annoyed.

"Why are you dressed like that? Is it for him?"

I rolled my eyes and yanked my wrist so that he would let go. I walked fast to the girls restroom. ' Why is he suddenly interested with what I wear?' I thought. ' Why can't he pick on someone else?' I asked myself as tears began to roll down my chubby cheeks. ' We used to be so close now everything thing I do bothers him' 'WHY?' ' Haven't I been through enough' I let more tears roll down and I stopped myself. I wasn't going to let this asshole stop me from being a normal teenage girl. I washed my face and wiped it with a napkin. Thankfully my eyes didn't get puffy or red from crying. So I decided to head to my 2 class even if I was already late. I was barely stepping out of the restroom when I see James' muscular yet lean body leaning against the wall in front of the restroom. 'Oh god what if he wants to hit me' I thought but bravely continued to walk... fast.

"Fatty, we need to talk" he said chasing after me.

"we really don't" I say not even looking at him.

"Stop being such a bitch and answer me"

"stop being an asshole and leave me alone" I responded.

Luckily my 2 period was extremely close to the restrooms and I didn't have James for that class so I quickly entered and apologized for my tardiness. I sat at my desk trying to pay attention to what our teacher was teaching. My mind kept wondering back to James and why I was such a problem in his life when he could simply ignore me and make both of our lives easier.