"Sure," I said. "I just... I want to call Jerome first to talk to him." I wasn't necessarily going to tell him about what I was going to do. I just wanted to hear his voice.

       "Okay," Mom said. "Just meet me in the kitchen when you're done." She gave me a hug. "I love you."

       "I love you too, Mom," I said.

       After Mom left my bedroom, I grabbed my cell phone and called Jerome, hoping he would answer sooner rather than later. I always felt comfort talking to him, even if it didn't completely push away these negative thoughts and feelings. Nobody could do that, but some at least gave me comfort.

       Thankfully, Jerome did answer right away. "Hey, cutie."

       "Hey," I said, hoping that he didn't realize that I wasn't feeling all too well. I just wanted to talk to him about anything but my current state.

       Too bad he knew me all too well.

       "Is everything okay?" Jerome asked.

       Maybe I could try lying...

       "Y-yeah," I said. "Everything's... all good. No problems here."

       "You're a horrible liar."

       Or not...

       "Everything really is okay," I said. "For the most part, that is. I just... I'm not feeling too well but it's okay. I just wanted to talk to you for a bit. N-not about what I'm feeling. Just... about anything."

       "Anything?" Jerome asked. "So we can talk about us getting in bed and--"

       "Not that! Stop saying stuff like that!"

       Jerome chuckled. "Your innocence is just so damn cute. I can't wait to take it away."

       "Jerome! Stop it!"

      "Man, if only I could see you right now. I bet you're blushing like crazy right now."

       I scowled. "Why is it so enjoyable for you to fluster me?"

       "Like I said, you are so damn cute. Don't worry, I won't fluster you anymore. It's a lot more enjoyable to do it in person where I can see your reaction. So what are you up to today?"

       "Well, my grandparents are coming over for dinner," I said. "And I'm going to help my mom cook dinner soon. What about you?"

       Jerome sighed heavily. "I'm forced into another thing with Anita. She guilted me into it since I did leave the dinner early and I left her there."

       "What is it this time?"

       "We're just going bowling but thankfully, it won't just be the two of us. She did meet someone there and he's going to bring a girl he knows with him."

       "Sounds like a double date."

       "I swear, it's not."

       "But it does sound like one."

       "Nolan, it isn't."

       "I'm kidding. Well, it really does sound like one but I know it's not."

       "It really isn't."

       "Yes, I just said that."

       "You said it sounds like one."

       "And I also said I know it's not. Keep up."

       Jerome chuckled. "Well, I actually have to be heading out. Any chance I can come over afterwards? That way, I can rip off all your clothes and f--"