Too bad he wasn't too smart because two seconds later he found himself tripping with his injured ankle over an uneven sidewalk.

Well, fuck.

- -

Gerard didn't believe in popular sayings, well, he didn't used to believe in them, but he had to admit that that weird expression about curiosity killing the cat, well, it was fucking accurate. Because not two days later he found himself in one of his father's infamous large zip-up hoodies, walking through the bar's stingy wooden doors.

It was a Sunday night, the last night before he was back to working his sorry ass off, and he was wasting it on this stupid meet-up he had promised he wouldn't go to. But maybe it would be worth it, maybe somehow him and Frank would turn friends again and his misplaced anger would evaporate into thin air like his father's sweaters did.

Gerard ran a hand through his knotted bright hair, keeping his head down as he walked slowly over to the same stool he sat at last time.

He played with the hem of his sweater as he waited for Frank to notice him, and he knew it was Frank there since he'd seen him on his way in. He was wearing a white ripped T-shirt that looked soaking wet.

Gerard could have laughed at the way some of the guys in the back looked at him too, but Frank just seemed to make a blow job motion with his hands and laugh at them.

"Hey, can I get you anything?" He asked Gerard absently as he cleaned the inside of a jug. He clearly hadn't noticed him yet, that, or he was well drunk and too shitfaced to notice anything in fifty feet of him.

"Just a beer please." Gerard muttered, keeping his head down.

Gerard didn't look up, but he could see Frank freeze through the corner of his eye, immediately looking up to face Gerard.

"Gerard?"

"The one and only." Gerard said with a snicker, looking up.

He was still pissed off, of course, and was totally not in any way shape or form in a good mood from seeing Frank. At all.

"Didn't think you were gonna come." He said passing Gerard a cold beer bottle.

"Me neither," Gerard muttered, hiding a small smile, "but I was curious as to why you went all the way to diner, just to tell me to come here."

Gerard took a large sip of his drink, playing with the top of the bottle with his finger tip, something he found himself doing quite often.

Frank let out a small chuckle, but his eyes seemed nervous and they kept shooting up and down. His lip was between his teeth and Gerard could tell Frank was really anxious.

"Why the fuck are you so nervous, Frankie?" Gerard asked with an amused laugh, taking another bitter sip of his drink.

"I'm not." He defended.

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not." Frank insisted angrily.

"Yes, you are." Gerard laughed. He thought they were joking around, at least Gerard was, but Frank's responses were getting more and more aggressive as time passed.