First Christmas

December 25, 2019

It was Christmas day. However, the only thing on Kaycee's mind was that this was Ethan's first Christmas. She wanted it to be perfect for her baby her tiny family as a whole, of course.

"Sean, you gotta be careful with that gift box, I don't want the wrapping paper to look crumbled." She commanded.

Her boyfriend laughed silently and smiled at the beauty in front of him, not knowing how he got so lucky with this gorgeous, talented, bossy at times, girl.

"Ok, love. I promise I'll be careful, but relax. Everything will be perfect." Sean said right before kissing Kaycee's temple.

The young parents were getting the final details together for their Christmas right before their baby woke up.

They all had matching pajamas, a tradition both their families loved and had implemented in their lives since Sean and Kaycee were kids. They had gotten Grinch-themed pajamas, and that is how Kaycee knew it was the first and last time Sean was going out alone to buy stuff.

Just as they finished up putting a few more things under the tree, they heard a cry coming from their baby's room. They both went together and when they got to the room Kaycee picked their son up.

"Merry First Christmas, my boy!" Ethan's mom exclaimed as the little boy snuggled closer to her chest.

Sean smiled at the sight, elated at the fact that this was his life now.

"You wanna go unwrap some presents, buddy?" Sean asked his son. The baby smiled.

Once they were in their living room, the small family of three sat on the floor around their Christmas tree. They began unwrapping presents or Ethan. There were a few toys and soem new clothes since he had grown out of most of his...again.

Kaycee got Sean a new speaker since he said his always ran out of battery too fast while he choreographed. The couple only got one gift each, since they wanted their child everything he needed.

Sean's gift to Kaycee was probably one of the best she had ever recieved in her life. When she unwrapped the little box, she opened it to find a clay Christmas tree ornament with Ethan's little handprint on it. The top of it said "My first Christmas" in small letters, and the back had the baby's name and the date. "December 18, 2019."

Kaycee almost teared up at the small ornament, seeing how much effort Sean had put into it.

"So that's why you two didn't let me go in the garage for three days." She joked.

"What can I say, Ethan wanted this to be a very special surprise for his mom, and so did I." The young adult smiled before his girlfriend leaned in to kiss him and his son, and thanked them again for her gift.

"Thank you bubba, I love it." She whispered into her baby's ear as he was falling asleep for his morning nap.

Sean picked him up and told Kaycee he would take him to his room.

Kaycee nodded with a smile as she hung up the small ornament on their tree, in a place where everyone could see it.

She thought to herself as she tidied up their living room, how this time last year, Ethan was barely a developed fetus in her belly. She laughed at how she thought of it, but it was the truth, that's what he was. She wondered what she would be doing this time around if a baby hadn't become the highlight of her life. Of course she would never trade the world for her life now, her son meant the universe to her. She was just curious about what would have been going on.

As she pondered, she kept thanking whoever was above for the year she had. Sean came back to find a teary-eyed Kaycee, on the floor. He was confused, however. She was smiling.

"Babe, are you alright?" He asked.

"Yeah. I was just thinking." She said as she wiped her tears with her palms.

"Thinking about what?" He said concerned.

"About us. About how much we've changed from last December to this one. Last year we were two teenagers scared of what are parents would think of what we had done. We were lost, scared, confused, and hopeless. But this year, we are parents that kinda have their lives together, we have a beautiful healthy baby, and you are still by my side." Her last statement made Sean tear up. He realized what she meant. Kaycee thought he would leave her the second he found out she was pregnant.

"Kaycee Rice, I will always be by your side no matter what, ok? The idea of ever leaving your side makes me wanna throw up. I cannot live without you, baby. I'm never leaving, ok? Merry Christmas, my love." Sean kissed her plump lips for a few minutes until they both fell asleep in each other's arms on the soft carpet in the living room.