Escort Two

"Are we in range yet?" Beatrix asked.

With a sigh, Lora turned her chair away from her console and buried her face into her hands. "We'll call you when we arrive at the gas giant."

"We don't have to be at the planet for me to scan its satellites," Beatrix objected, kicking at the doorframe.

"You'll be able to inspect all the moons soon," Zander replied, resting his head on his hand. "Can't you just wait till we get there?"

Beatrix walked into the cockpit and claimed the last station. "You've kept me out long enough, all the equipment is here."

"Whatever, Beatrix," Lora said, returning her attention to her console. She adjusted a few controls before flicking the display a few times. Leaning back, she dropped her head into her hands and asked, "Why are we scanning these moons?"

"The triumvirs are looking to make things different than under the previous administration," Sarra answered.

"What's that have to do with anything?" Lora inquired, while she twirled in her chair.

Zander grabbed his canteen and took a sip. "Previously, the Federation would only settle a single planet in a system." The copilot swallowed another mouthful and continued, "It didn't care if there were multiple planets that could support a colony."

"But why are we wasting our time with the satellites?"

"Does it matter?" Sarra asked as she tapped Zander's shoulder.

He capped the water bag and handed it to her. "No, the triumvirs tasked us with scanning anyplace that might sustain life."

"But the moons," Lora complained.

"Those can support an atmosphere," Beatrix stated as she activated the console. Her fingers manipulated the dials while she scrunched over the display. With a sigh, she glanced over her shoulder, adding, "That said, three of them aren't large enough for the purpose."

Lora gripped her station, stopping herself. Her head whipped at Beatrix as a smile grew. "Can we leave?"

Sara tsked at the pilot. "Not yet, Lora. There are four more satellites orbiting Aurora Three."

Lora slammed her hand to her forehead, muttering, "Aurora Three?"

"Do you not like the name?" Zander asked.

"It's a little lazy," Lora whined.

"I think Olyver chose the names," Beatrix mentioned adjusting her console. "Can you alter our heading?"

"Why?"

"Based on the preliminary scans we took upon arrival," Beatrix started as she transferred the adjusted bearing to Lora's display. "If you adjust our course slightly, we should be able to scan the satellites faster."

The pilot opened the data and updated the ship's route. "If we can finish this jaunt sooner, I'm all for it."

"Do you want to open a channel with the triumvirs?" Sarra asked, taking a swig from the canteen.

"There's no point until we've scanned the last four," Zander responded as he reached for the bottle.

Sarra groaned and gulped water before returning it to Zander.

"Thank you, Sarra," Zander said. "How soon till we can scan the other moons?"

"A few minutes," Lora answered. "You guys want to do anything while we wait?"

Beatrix turned pulled something from her belt pouch. She leaned back and unwrapped a meal bar. "I don't have any plans."

"Is going home an option?" Lora asked.

Laughter rang out in the cockpit, while Beatrix took a bite. After swallowing the mouthful, she rubbed her neck and shot down the suggestion. "Not at the moment."

"Once you finish the scans, can we head back?"

"I doubt it," Sarra replied.

"I was afraid someone would say that," Lora grumbled as she increased the ship's speed. After a brief silence, she added, "The other moons should be in range."

Beatrix hunched over her display and checked over the latest results. "It looks like satellite number four can sustain life."

Lora glanced over her shoulder, "It has an atmosphere?"

"No, but it is large enough to support one," Beatrix commented, making further adjustments to the sensors. "Five is not viable, but six will require some work to scrub the toxic environment."

"A single moon, then?" Zander asked.

"The sixth would need to be terraformed, but it can sustain life," Beatrix answered. "And number seven looks to be the twin of the fourth."

"Are we planning on three colonies then?" Sarra questioned.

"Reach out to the triumvirs," Beatrix commanded.

Shaking her head, Sarra turned to her console and opened the channel. "Escort Two calling Aurora."

"You're late," Olyver growled.

"We've just finished the preliminary scans of Aurora Three's satellites. Only three will support life, after we terraform them," Beatrix stated.

"What about the other four?" Olyver inquired.

Beatrix shifted to her screen and answered, "The others are mineral rich and would make excellent mines."

"So the colonies can mine until the terraforming process is completed and then transition to agricultural outposts," Quinn commented.

"That's a fair assessment," Beatrix replied.

"Why didn't you check in earlier?" Olyver asked.

"Ignore him," Quinn declared. "Go to the last gas giant and scan its moons."

"Escort One will perform that task," Olyver barked.

"Nonsense," Quinn retorted. "Escort Two is closer to that world. They'll finish this job."

"If Escort One wants to do this, I'm all for letting them," Lora volunteered.

"Escort One is already on their way back, Lora," Quinn replied.

"Do we have to, sir?"

"Yes, Lora, pilot the ship to Aurora Four and let Beatrix scan the remaining moons."

"Fine," Lora groaned as she adjusted their course towards the last planet in the system. "It will take us a few hours to arrive at the planet."

"Then a few more to process those satellites," Beatrix added.

"Nonsense," Olyver said. "Go and perform the initial scans of the moons and hurry back with the results. We'll analyze them upon your return."

"They have to check-in," Olyver insisted.

"Ignore him," Quinn ordered as he killed the comm channel.

Sara shrugged, asking, "Which do we do?"

"We follow Quinn's order," Lora declared as she increased the ship's speed. "And we do it as quickly as possible."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this story please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction

https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan