Salty and Pepper

Pepper is the name of my horse. I use to go for rides with him every day after school. Since I've moved away Aunt Catalina has taken care of him.

  We are suppose to be going for a ride with the Friars but so far Aunt Cat and I are the only ones with the horses.

"How is that Friar boy?" Aunt Catalina asked. I shrugged as I ran my hand though Pepper's mane. And honestly I don't know how's he's doing since we haven't been talking.

"I thought you two were the best of friends." Aunt Catalina said with a wink. I smiled and shaked my head. "Not at the moment no."

"Aw," She responded. I was busy making sure my saddle wasn't lose to notice the Friars approaching.

"Well that's a shame since he'll be riding with us."

I froze in my tracks. I think I just misheard her. Definitely.

"Hello Ms. Catalina."

Definitely wrong.

I slowly stood up and placed one foot on the stirrup pad. I tried to not make much eye contact as Aunt Cat helped me onto my horse.

"My! If it isn't Miss Dylan Moore-Alvarez!" Grandpa Friar said. So much for not speaking or making eye contact.

"Hello Sir." I said with a smile. I glanced over at Lucas who happened to be looking off in the distance past me. Good.

"You've grown girl." Grandpa Friar said looking up at me. "Thank you sir."

"You and Lucas both look so grown up." Aunt Cat said and I shot her a glare. She shrugged.

Grandpa Friar and Aunt Cat started talking about us and I think just for a moment, I saw Lucas glance at me. And for a moment, I felt butterflies in my stomach.