The Night/Day After

Roddi's POV 

Angela and Dad thanked me on the ride home from the Lilac. Daniel had stayed to help me so it went really well. Dad said he ate so much he thought he'd fall asleep in the taxi. Angela said she's glad he didn't.

When we walked into the apartment the whole place was quiet. Angela went to check on Roberto and Dad went straight to bed. I guess the car ride really did a number on him. In the living room I was surprised to see Lucas was still here. He and Dylan were asleep on the couch. Her head was at one end and his was at the other. I sighed and went to the hall closet and grabbed a blanket. I lightly set the blanket on them and sent a text to Lucas' parents letting him know he was staying. 

With the silence in the house I'm guessing these tow did a great job. It doesn't really surprise me. They use to do this all the time back in Texas. I yawned and made my way back to my room. I couldn't wait to fall asleep.

Dylan's POV

When I woke up this morning Lucas was still here. I could hear his light breathing while he slept. I yawned and reached towards the coffee table to grab my phone. Josh had messaged me letting me know he would stay at Cory's and will be home tomorrow. That's fine since I kinda slept over.

I climbed out from under the blanket and winced. I forgot to take my ring off before I fell asleep. Sometimes the ring would hurt my finger if I left it on too long. I've been meaning to tell Josh about it to see if we could go get it resized. 

I unclipped the chain I was wearing last night which I was suppose to put the ring on before I fell asleep. I slipped the ring off my finger and slide it onto the chain. Then I put the necklace back on. 

I looked around for the time. It was barely eight thirty. I decided I would go make some waffles since there was no point in waiting for everyone to get up.

I almost screamed when I saw Roddi in the kitchen holding a sleeping Roberto. He gave me a shush face and was pulling a pack of waffles out of the freezer.

"I hope you plan on sharing." I whispered walking to the table.

"You wish." He whispered back. I crossed my arms.

"It's going to be hard to hold a baby in one hand and make waffles with the other."

Roddi glared at me then decided to hand Roberto over to me. "Asshole." I mumbled.

Roddi just responded with, "So did you and Lucas have fun last night babysitting?"

I shrugged. "I mean it was babysitting."

Roddi shook his head. "It's not that hard to do. You two know that from experience." He was right. I don't see where the conversation is going. 

After he heard the toaster pop, He grabbed two plates. He then turned to ask me something then he looked at my necklace.

"What? Is the thought of tying the knot starting to suffocate you?" 

I smacked him on the shoulder. "Why would you say something like that?"

He shrugged then leaned against the counter. "Well for starters you're wearing it around your neck and not on your finger."

"It was hurting my finger, it needs to be resized." I snapped. He held his hands up in defense. Then he continued.

"I also got a text from Josh this morning." Okay? So did I. "He asked how babysitting went for you last night. Did he know you were having help from Lucas?" Well.. he knew I was having help from the girls. I bit my bottom lip. 

"That's what I thought." He sighed. "You can't keep hanging out with Lucas behind Josh's back."

I glared at him. Before I could protest I heard footsteps. We both looked at the entrance to the kitchen. Lucas was standing there stretching. We made eye contact and he yawned.

"Glad you slept well." Roddi joked, and Lucas just shrugged. 

"What are you guys arguing about?" He asked. "It's nothing." Roddi answered before I could even open my mouth. 

"Uh.. Okay." Lucas grabbed a plate and looked at my arms which were still holding Roberto. "I can take him while you guys eat."

"That's alright." I mumbled. "Yeah, oh I forgot to mention Dylan, Josh said he'll be here around eight fifty." Roddi said smirking.

Lucas just took a bite of his waffle and all I could do was listen to my chest pound. Roberto began to stir a bit.

"Let me guess," Lucas started as if he could hear my heart. "Josh doesn't know I'm here?"

Roddi shook his head no. He then took Roberto from me and walked out the kitchen. I should have known.. Roddi doesn't even like frozen waffles.

I heard Lucas sigh. "It wasn't meant to be a secret. I just forgot to tell him." I said grabbing myself a plate. We both leaned our backs against the counter while we ate.

"Not like we did anything wrong." Lucas said after taking another bite. I nodded in agreement. It would be different if he and I were sneaking around again like we were last year. 

Lucas faces me and I licked some syrup off my top lip. He reached behind me and grabbed a napkin. "Thanks." I said. 

"Just tell him I got here earlier because I had a few questions about NYU." He said taking both our plates to the sink. "I don't really want to lie to him Lucas. That's why he doesn't want us around one another."

Lucas was quiet before saying, "Which would he prefer to hear? The truth that I came over to help you babysit last night and we fell asleep on the couch, or the lie that I came over to ask you about college life."

Somehow both responses didn't feel right. Josh might freak out if he found out Lucas and I fell asleep together. I was the one who woke up and moved off his shoulder. Which made him wake up and we both agreed to sleep at opposite ends of the couch. But, he may not believe the lie and then he'll be upset that I didn't tell him the truth. 

"Don't lie to your man." I looked over at the entrance and Mom was standing there with her hands on her hips. I quickly looked away from her.

"Josh won't be mad if you tell him your FRIEND Lucas came over to help with your baby brother. It was not your fault all your other friends were busy. Y'all didn't do anything wrong so there's no reason to hide it from him. Besides he loves and trusts you Dylan." Mom walked across the kitchen and gave me a hug. I squeezed her back.

There was a knock on the front door and when I pulled away from Mom, Lucas wasn't in the room anymore. I heard the sound of the door open.

"Joshua! What a surprise to see you this early." Great..