NYU Pt. 2

Flashback Summer of 2014

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

I smile one of my brightest smiles. That always happened when I was with Cowboy.

"You're going to New York in less than a week." I sigh and blew lose strands of hair out of my face.

Lucas pulled back on my messy ponytail. "Hey!" I swatted his hand away. "Calm down Ponygirl. You know I couldn't stay here." He sighs and I rolled my eyes. Well if he didn't have such a big heart he wouldn't be in this mess.

"I know I know. Better opportunities for you in a place where nobody knows the fierce but friendly Lucas." He smiles. "Exactly."

I look down at the lake. We sat on the pier above the five feet deep water letting our legs dangle and touch the water. It was a nice place to be, especially when trains road by. The sound of the whistle just zones you out. Helps forget your worries. At least it use to.

I get a feeling of someone watching me and look up at Lucas. I sigh. "Promise you won't forget about me?"

He wraps his arm around me. "How could I ever?"

I take a few deep breathes. Ever had the feeling your heart has been ripped out of your chest? Like the loss of a family member or the anticipation of riding a roller coaster? It felt like one of those moments, to lose your best friend. The person you have shared everything with; The person closest to you. Someone who was like family. And the worst part is they would only be hours away. A tear rolled down my cheek and soaked into my t-shirt.

"Ah now Ponygirl, don't cry." I felt Lucas' arms hold me in a tight hug. I didn't want him to leave. Suddenly his hands weren't holding me, but tickling my rib cage.

"You slick cowboy!" I yelped while moving from side to side trying to escape. I was no longer crying from sadness; I was laughing so hard I was crying!

After a few more seconds of struggling I pushed Lucas into the lake. When he surfaced he splashed up at me causing me to smile. When he climbed out he helped me to my feet.

"No more tears okay Giggles?"

Giggles? What a dork.

"Only happy tears. Like when I come to visit. Like a scene on a movie."

I nod. "When my cowboy comes home."

He turns away to blush. I smile. He doesn't very often.

"And hey," He starts. "You never know. Maybe we'll go to the same college one day."

Yeah, maybe.

Present Day

"Well it's 10:41, should we begin the tour?"
I nod taking in the view. "Yes, let's do it. Lead the way Joshua."