Wolves

Tegan grabbed her crossbow and swung it around, holding it firmly against her chest. Aaron pulled at her arm trying to get her to follow him. 

"No. This is my fault. They followed me. I am staying here," she insisted.

"Fine, I have to go find Eric," he said before taking off towards a white house. 

Daryl was already at the weapons stash grabbing his own crossbow and a few guns. He flung one to Rick and Glenn, who made there way back to where the red head was crouched. Daryl grabbed more and as he saw more people he handed them out.

Tegan saw Daryl jogging towards the vehicle she was crouched behind with his own crossbow slung over his back. He had guns in his hands and he tossed one to her. She nodded a thank you and they crouched side by side watching as Rick went to the front gate with Glenn and a woman with dark brown dreadlocks by his side.

"So, you trust me now?" Tegan whispered to Daryl as he watched Rick intensely.

"I trust Aaron," he said shooting her a side glance. His blues eyes pierced hers. Her heart started thumping faster. Stop! We are in the middle of what is about to be a fight. What are you doing? She questioned herself, pulling her gaze away from the strong man next to her.

The chain link fence part of the gate was  yanked open to reveal the metal bars blocking them from the real world.

"May we help you?" Rick growled leaving his hand on his holstered python.

"Hello, we don't want much trouble," a mans voice said. Tegan recognized it as the man she knocked on his ass.

"Fuck," she whispered. Daryl glanced at her seeing the worried expression on her face.

"What?" He asked looking back at the man at the gate.

"That's the guy I knocked out. The guy who I was running from," Tegan snarled. Daryl grunted, but didn't say anymore as they listened to Rick talk.

"What do you want?" Rick had asked the dark haired man with a W on his forehead.

"Oh nothing much, really. See you all won't survive. None of you will. The earth is taking us back," he laughed. Tegan raised and eyebrow. She glanced a look at Daryl who kept his face straight.

"I think you're wrong," Rick said tilting his head slightly to the right.

"I'm not," the man chuckled. Out of nowhere men were jumping over the protective walls with knives, machetes, axes and the like. Tegan spun and shot an arrow straight through the head of a man about to slice into a woman with dark brown hair pulled into a tight ponytail. The young woman nodded to Tegan who turned to see some more men jumping down the wall.

"Watch your back," Daryl grumbled as he pulled his crossbow in front of him and shot one of the men who was coming up behind Tegan.

"Thanks," she whispered to the man next to her. He winked at her, but didn't say anything. She could see him chewing nervously at his lip causing her to do the same. Daryl started making his way around the front of the vehicle crouching as Tegan went around the back. They met up with each other, crossbows pointed at one another. They turned when they heard screaming, only to see a woman who was outside smoking a cigarette be chopped in half with a long machete by an ape looking man.

Tegan heard Daryl growl as he ran after the man. She stayed in her spot looking around to see who needed help. A woman with blonde hair was outside a house with a machete fighting off one of the men. She kicked him off her stairs and Tegan aimed the arrow at the mans head, pulling the trigger swiftly. The woman looked up, assuming it was Daryl, but surprise crossed her face when a shorter young woman came over to her and pulled the arrow from the deceased mans head.

"Who are you?" The blonde lady asked.

"Tegan," the girl replied wiping her arrow on her jeans and knocking it back into place.

"I'm Jessie," the woman said.

"Get back inside and lock the doors," Tegan ordered the woman, who obeyed.

The freckled girls eyes searched for the man she was standing by just a few moments earlier. She spotted him just down the road, his hand gripping tight to a machine gun, bow flung across his back tightly. Tegan made her way to him pulling her machine gun up as well and shooting everyone with a W.

"How many more are left?" She asked Daryl as they stood back to back.

"Don't know," he grunted. Tegan's gun jammed.

"Fuck," she whispered fiddling with it, not seeing the man running at them from her left side. Just as she got it unjammed the big monster of a man tackled her. Daryl spun around as the man held Tegan on the ground with a knife to her neck.

"Let her go," Daryl snarled at the fat man crushing the young woman's rib cage.

"You're all going to die! Why try to stop it?" The man laughed manically before pulling the knife gently down the girls face making some blood trickle out. Before she knew what was happening the man fell completely limp on top of her. His cheek squishing tightly against hers. She let out a groan as Daryl pulled the heavy man off the petite girl.

"Thanks," she huffed, grabbing the hand he held out for her. He yanked her up with ease. She wiped the blood from her cheek onto her arm and ignored the stinging sensation she felt.

"Stay close," he grunted holding his gun up once more. Tegan followed willingly. This was something she could get use too. Having someone that had her back was an amazing feeling. One she hadn't felt in quite a long time. 

"Daryl!" a soft feminine voice came from a stairwell leading to a basement. 

"Carol!" Daryl said,  a hint of relief filled his eyes. They embraced for the briefest of moments. Tegan kept guard at the top of the stairs, peaking her head above the small wall that protected them for the time being. 

"Who is this?" The woman with short gray hair asked her friend. She was glaring at Tegan, who pretended not to notice.

"This is Tegan. Aaron just recently brought her back," Daryl said, leaving out the part about her leading the bad people straight to them. Carol only nodded in response, but she had an uneasy feeling in her stomach. 

"What do we do?" Tegan asked, now leaning back down next to Daryl. 

"I think they are leaving," Carol noted as she lifted her head above the wall to check. Turns out she was right. The group of dirty assholes ran out the gates. As soon as the last one left Daryl, Tegan, and Carol ran to close the gate. 

"We need to check the perimeter," Rick yelled coming out of the house with the blonde woman Tegan had helped just a few minutes earlier. 

"I'll do it," Daryl nodded making his way out of the gate.

"I'll help!" Tegan jumped in. Daryl let the young woman follow him as he scanned the walls carefully, pulling down the various ropes the people had used to scale their walls. In blood, written on one of the outer walls was the word "Wolves". Daryl looked at it, confused for a moment before Tegan chimed in. "The W's! That's what they stand for!" She smiled proudly at herself as Daryl glanced at her over his shoulder. Her blue eyes caught his for the moment before he turned.

"Good thing yer' smart," he grumbled, only causing her to chuckle slightly behind him.

"I try," she said with a smile.