31 | Heat

↞[Luke]↠

[Luke]

His touch was warm, and palm felt calloused as he tentatively explored my skin underneath the shirt. I closed my eyes and leaned my head on his shoulder. "I love it when you take the initiative, baby."

"I love it when you call me your baby."

"Mmmm..." His wet lips sucked on the sensitive flesh of my neck, firm enough to leave a mark, making me bite my bottom lip. He grabbed more skin with his teeth, and his fingers began unwinding my belt—fumbling around the buckle.

I gently clasped his hand and brought it to my lips. Ken went through hell in the past few days, but now, after his fantastic coming-out, I didn't want him to be nervous. I turned to face him and placed my arms on his shoulders, noticing he had removed his glasses. His flushed cheeks were driving me insane now. "Ken, we should talk." I touched my nose to his. "All good things, I promise."

"Me too." He looked down at my lips, making me smile. I think the teasing went too far, and I still couldn't help myself—I licked my lips and inched away from him. "Um, upstairs?" he asked, looking back to my eyes.

"Sounds promising." I let him lead the way. Being alone with him always made me vulnerable to the mild vanilla, which clung to his skin. After knowing that scent was exclusive to me, it overwhelmed all my barriers. My heart raced as I wondered what it'd be like if I ever gave in to that feeling.

Closing the bedroom door behind me, I followed him as he sat on the single bed's edge and looked down at his shoes. Dull yellow lights seeped from the lamp beside him, casting a shadow on his face. "I have been thinking about the Parabine stuff and... You know what hurts the most," he began, making me nervous about what was coming, but we have to talk, so I silently listened.

"That we wouldn't have cared if we weren't connected like that. You had felt it, too, right?" He looked up at me, and my heart sank a little. "The weird pull when we first saw each other."

I nodded. I remembered that day like yesterday, and I cannot deny how much I had wanted him, and that want only surged as we got closer. "I'll never lie to you. It might've started with wanting you in my bed, but along the way, things changed."

He smiled a little. "Yeah, I know. It's a weird paradox. I really want you, Luke, but it annoys me that we were 'fated.' Cause if we weren't, we wouldn't be together. You would never ask me out that day." He groaned with frustration.

I stepped between his legs and got on my knees, grabbing his hands in mine, I urged him to look at me. "I have no proof, Ken, but I know you're wrong. Maybe it wouldn't have happened the way it did." I leaned sideways on his leg, my cheek caressing the warm denim over his thigh. "But we still would've ended up together."

"You can never be sure, though, right?" he whispered, unsure of the words himself.

"I'm sure," I said with a smile.