16 | Like the Winds

↞[Ken]↠

↞[Ken]↠

"So, he just left?" Bella questioned Calum for the fifth time as she propped her phone up, tapping quickly. "No reply."

"I swear." Calum leaned his weight on one crutch and fixed the lock of hair feathering his eye. "I have no idea. I did not see him leave," he explained the same thing again, making Bella cry out in frustration. "I gotta be with the team." He glanced at me before making his way to the group of sweat leaden guys in jerseys.

Our school had won fair and square. We stood under purple skies, the sun nowhere near the horizon as streams of students poured out of the gym, cheering and brimming with post-game enthusiasm. Some high-fived me when they saw me. The mass of attention directed towards me was overwhelming and made me want to hide.

None of the celebrations touched my heart. I had seen Luke amongst the crowd belting around during the game. He had watched me with admiration behind his violet gaze, making me nervous yet a little prideful. It did not make sense of why he suddenly left. And now my heart was heavy with the burden of apprehension for him.

"Bella, we're wasting time," I said with the onset of dread. The stalker was still on our back. Anything could've gone wrong. "He could be in trouble." My voice was a whisper, almost to myself. But Bella's eyes flicked to me, and her frustration was replaced by worry.

"Do you know anything?"

"N-no, I was just assuming the worst." Damnit, don't stammer now.

"Fine, I will go and check on him." She placed her phone into her pocket and turned to the exit with her jaws set.

"Wait, Bella!" I grabbed her forearm and pulled her back. Whatever condition he was in, Bella was not ready to face it. With or without me. And Luke wouldn't want her to find out this way.

Her eyebrows creased with confusion, and before she said something, I spoke, "I know. I know. But please." I let go of her hand, and we straightened up. "Let me go. Alone. Please, Bella. Trust me." But why would she? In her eyes, she was Luke's best friend, and I was merely a guy he found attractive. She did not know the extent of Luke's nightmare as me, and I could not blame her for that. I'd be just as oblivious if I did not stumble on him while sleeping.

"No way, Ken," another voice from behind me called out. Turning around, I saw Emily standing a foot away from us. "I heard what you two were talking about." She stepped closer, and her gaze bounced between the two of us — accusing, scrutinizing. "None of that—" She pointed at the team, Brandon in the center, holding the golden trophy in his hands, glimmering in the headlights. They all talked animatedly with smiles on their faces. "— Would've happened without you. You worked so hard for this. Stay and celebrate with them."

Bella crossed her arms over her chest but said nothing as she gave me a hard look. The basketball game was the last thing on my mind. How was I supposed to celebrate knowing Luke was in some trouble or worse? "Emily, I'm sorry, but I can't stay. You won't understand—"