28 | The Sunny Side

↞[Ken]↠

[Ken]

I don't remember when I drifted into the clutches of sleep. Quick footsteps approaching us made me open my eyes in haste, and the weariness slipped off my body when I heard a feminine voice shout, "Lukas!"

My heart thrummed. Not enough time had passed; it only felt long. I was still covered in Luke's wings, and I did not want to leave my sanctuary. Not ready to face whatever was coming, I didn't make any move and neither did Luke.

I focused on the uneven footsteps getting closer. Closer. There were multiple people. When they finally reached us, I heard the girl's voice clearer, "Luka—oh, my God." She sounded terrified; I knew she saw his wings, and it was over for us.

Then someone else blew a low whistle. "Oh, shit, are we interrupting a private moment here?"

"Shut up, Morgan!" the girl from before shouted.

I made a wild guess that they were the people fighting for us down there. That's why Luke didn't care to give a reaction. Also, the fact that they did not attack us at first sight. What I did not know was if they were like Luke, which would mean more angels.

Yet, Luke made no movement, but his heart had calmed down, and his breaths were slow. I turned to face his neck and nuzzled it very lightly. "Luke, we have to get up," I let my words roll off his skin.

He hummed in agreement, and the small response lifted the heaviness off my chest. He is okay.

Cool breeze cloaked over my body the moment his wings unwrapped. The sudden loss of contact heightened my craving for them. How was something so soft and warm equivalent to a bloodthirsty knife? The storm in his eyes had died down, and he seemed calm as he smiled ever so faintly.

"Are you okay?" I whispered to him.

"I should be asking you that." His fingertips touched my cheek, just under my wound. He was so gentle that I barely felt it. I wanted him to stay and to feel his touch longer. But he stood up and turned to face the people who had called out to us.

I was right. Like Luke, they were also angels, but their wings were nothing like his. Maybe I saw through the film of pure prejudice (I totally did), but his gold-coated feathers seemed like they had trapped actual rays of sunshine.

The girl with long raven hair had something comparable to flames molded into feathers. They burned-in shades of red and violet around her.

The one next to her had a shorter black assortment of feathers. They were a lot closer to Luke's but nothing compared to his size and radiance.

When his back turned to me, I saw the full plumage covering his back. They shot out through his shoulder blades and descended till his hips. All the feathers looked like they were dipped in liquid gold, making me wonder if they were heavy carrying around.