20 | Melting Vanilla

↞[Luke]↠

↞[Luke]↠

A dazzling blue sky and bright, free sunshine glistered past the café's spotty window.

"You guys will be there at the Homecoming tonight, right?" Bella asked, her eyes lingered on me as I sat on a royal blue cushiony sofa, beside Ken. I placed the coffee tray, packed with three different varieties of coffee, on the table.

Peering into Bella's doubtful eyes, I responded, "Maybe." The wink after that was only to frustrate her. She had been prodding about the Homecoming since Ken and I walked out of the school library.

She groaned in defeat and flailed her arms. "So, everything that I did is potentially wasted. Ugh, I liked you better when you were dying, Luke," she complained.

I lifted the coffee cup to my lips, hiding the smile forming on my face. Bella's eyebrows furrowed deeper. I glanced at Ken for backup, but his whole devotion was on his phone. Why did multiplayer exist on every platform? I pulled him close to me by his waist, hoping that he would give up on the game.

Nope. He tipped his upper-half and rested on my shoulder while still playing the game. With not just one, but both his hands.

"What the freak do you mean by 'maybe'"? Bella asked with contained fury.

"Uh..." while drawling the expression, I successively poked Ken's stomach.

"Ow! Ow! OW! No, stop! Nooo." With strings of slurs and hysteria, he slammed the phone on the solid grey table. The black-dropped screen flashed with bold, red letters saying, "wasted." Full capitals.

His head drooped, and he mumbled, "Everyone's gonna roast me for the remainder of my existence. Dying to a level three machete wielder..."

There was a smidge bit of sadism to view his defeated-self cute. If it were anyone else in my position, Ken would be fuming at them, but me being myself — I could not help it. Wanting his undivided attention was selfish, but considering that we were apart for a whole week excused my actions.

"I only ask for my boyfriend's attention," I murmured into his ears while nuzzling his cottony temporal hair. I had meant to say that playfully. But it had an entirely different effect on Ken as he stuttered some words and pulled away to look ruefully into my eyes.

"This background noise wants attention too!" Bella renounced, reminding me that she was in front of us.

"Back me up, Ken," I insisted and stared back at Bella's are-you-for-real face.

"Y-yeah, dancing sounds dreadful," Ken stated hastily.

I cocked my head to the side and said, "You heard him. I'll do whatever he says."

Bella groaned and thumped her head on the walnut-wood table.

"Dude, you're making it sound like you're my slave!" Ken said with surprise.