- One -

So, I was telling Catelin about this, post-argument but pre-departure, and she was telling me that she didn't believe me, because aliens and I was telling her that it was true, and that this whole time, Allen, the scarily smart, scarily good-looking guy who just showed up out of nowhere was an --

Okay, wait. I'll back up. Like, a lot.

My dad is all about being polite and stuff (him and all my other Hawaiian family members) so I'll start with my name.

My name is Kalea Brooke Mahelona. But Kali, if you please. Nice to meet you. One time I met this one girl, and I introduced myself, like so, except without my middle name, 'cause, you know, and she kind of looked at me and scowled and told me to "back the fuck off" and I was like, "excuse me?" So then I...

Whoa. Off topic once more. Just, like, nudge me or something if I do that. I'm here to tell you the story of me and Allen and the big crash.

So, since I was backing up, I'll start at the beginning. Now that introductions are over. So sit back, and believe what I'm about to tell you. Or don't. I couldn't care less as to what you do.

It started about five months ago, on September 10, in Ogallala, Nebraska.

~~~~

"Kalea Brooke Mahelona! Just where do you think you are going?"

I turned around, a guilty smile plastered on my face.

"Hey, Mom," I said, laughing nervously. "Heh, aren't you supposed to be in bed?"

My mother, wearing her old blue bathrobe, her brown hair in curlers, was standing in front of the door with her arms crossed.

"I can't go to bed if my youngest daughter is sneaking out, now, can I?" Her voice was dangerously calm. Akahele, my father would warn me in Hawaiian. Careful, careful.

"I'm not sneaking out," I said slowly, even though that was exactly what I was doing. "I'm just...going for a walk! Cate's coming. We were gonna go over to Zee's and get sundaes."

My mother narrowed her eyes, staring me down, trying to get me to spill the truth. I crossed my fingers that Catelin's worrying would get the best of her and she would come to my house, even if we were supposed to meet at Penn's.

"Sundaes," she mused. "Really? How come you're all dressed up?" She asked, gesturing to my denim shorts, heeled sandals and flowery strapless top.

"Um, I felt like it," I said, but knew I she had me pinned in a corner.

"This wouldn't have to do with the party you and Catelin were talking about, does it?"

I winced. I was so dead.

"Kali, tell me the truth," my mother said, her scowl tightening.

I forced myself to meet her eyes, keeping my face straight and cold. I've broken a lot of rules before. Actually, most every rule my parents set gets broken one time or another. So, with all this rebelling and sneaking around, I've developed a set of skills--and this includes lying.

"That is the truth." I prayed really hard to whatever god was up there for Cate to show up. I prayed for her punctuality to get the best of her, and have her knock on my door and save me from the net I was ensnared in.

"Look me in the eye, Kali, and tell me that you are not sneaking out with your best friend to that no-good boy's house and that you are not going to attend a party, make bad life choices and get wildly drunk and leave me, your mother, to take care of you when you don't have a sober person to drive you home or a way to cure your hangover." She took a breath, and her scowl lessened. She had me, and she knew it.