- Seventeen -

We went to see a horror movie. 

Penn ate all the popcorn and drank out of my cup and I flinched even though it really wasn't that scary. 

Well, maybe a little scary. But not that much, I swear. I didn't scream or squeal or anything, though the tension in the movie was high and when we got out Penn was complaining about the lack of blood to his hand from my death grip on his arm. 

Catelin called as we were going to Zee's to get burgers because apparently eating my popcorn and drinking my drink wasn't enough for Penn. 

She listened like a good friend while I informed her of our satisfactory date. Nothing super romantic, but still a nice. 

Penn wasn't the type of person to make you feel lightheaded when he met your eyes intensely or to create sparks when he touches you (not that I knew anyone that could) but was the kind of guy that everyone wanted to date at least once in their life.

I really did try to explain it to Catelin, but she didn't get it. She only told me to not eat onions on my burger and I really loved onions because how could you not that's what I would like to know please. Like this one time, I'd gone out with Eason and his now-ex Isaiah and Cade and Penn and none of them ever got onions because they're gross. Like, come on. Hating onions is like hating oxygen and-

Penn called my attention back with a Penn-like cough (and when I say Penn-like I mean rude) and I started, meeting his dark eyes. 

"Um, yeah?" I said, picking at my onion-less burger, now cold. 

"You had fun?" Penn asked, picking up his own food. 

I nodded. "Yeah, it was nice." 

"Good." 

Awkward silence fell, made more so by the both of us not knowing what to say. Penn pushed away his empty plate, and Zee's girlfriend, a short red-haired woman by the name of Margret, took the plates with a friendly smile. 

More silence after she left. I kicked my feet against the counter, before sliding off the stool. 

"Shall we?" I said, just so I didn't have to swelter in the heavy awkwardness that had settled on us for the first time that night. 

Penn didn't reply, getting to his feet and throwing down a few bills, following me to the door. It was nearing the end of October and Catelin had already sent me a billion links for decorations, sweaters, and presents. 

She wanted a pair of headphones, bright blue. They were two hundred dollars. 

Oh, what I did for friends. 

Penn pushed the door open, not bothering to hold it but leaving it open enough for me to go through. 

So, half a gentleman. Better than nothing.

I shivered in the cold air, burrowing deeper into my coat. We started towards Penn's car in silence. 

His hand brushed mine, and I grabbed it, just to have something to do. Our fingers laced together. I don't know for sure, but I feel like there's this small part in every girl, no matter how romantic, that loves when the person they like intertwines fingers with them. It was nice, knowing that someone was there right beside you, very real and very solid.

I could feel my pulse pick up speed, and the clouds from my breath came faster. 

Penn was close. He was so, so close. 

I could feel him, his shoulder nudging mine, our fingers locked together. I could hear him — the way his breath came and went steadily (because he was Penn Williamson and NEVER SHOWED EMOTION, LIKE A MAN), the way his shoes scuffed while he walked and the song he hummed absentmindedly.