No# 9

Readers P.O.V

"Shawn, hold still! I can't get it in!"

I watched as my boyfriend squirmed before me.

"Just hurry up! I'm scared it's gonna hurt!"

"Trust me, this will hurt me a lot more than it will hurt you. Deep breath in, on three. One. Two. Three."

I pulled the needle through Shawn's ear, right on time. He winced but then sighed in relief.

"Is that it?"

I nodded at him with a smile.

"That's it," I said, rubbing a cotton ball drenched in rubbing alcohol over the freshly pierced cartilage.

Shawn had become obsessed with mine in my right ear and wanted one similar. I told him that I had done it myself and that I used to pierce ears for extra cash in my old neighborhood. For some reason, the danger of that impressed him and he begged me to do it.

"Now, we're matching!" I said as I admired my work.

His left ear was still bright red, but with proper care it would soon be gone. Shawn smiled at me and pulled me close to him.

"You know that I would have never let another girl, do that to me?"

I rolled my eyes at him. I believed that at one point Shawn had been so girl crazy that he would let them do anything to him and he wouldn't care.

"No, I mean it. You're special. And that's why I have to tell you this," he said, sighing.

Inside, I started to panic. I could feel my blood pressure rising and my face getting hot. He must have saw this because he quickly calmed my fears.

"N/N, calm down. I'm not breaking up with you or anything crazy."

I sighed in relief, but then started to worry about him.

"Then what is it?"

He grabbed my hands as he started to speak.

"My mum is back."

For some reason, unknown to me, I pulled back from him. I stood up and started to pace around the room in Shawn's small trailer. My heart was racing and I had so many questions that just needed to come out, so I began to fire them at him in rapid fire.

"What? What do you mean? How do you know? Where did you see her? Are you sure it was her? Is she coming back here? Is-"

"N/N! Calm down! I'm the one that should be freaking out."

I let out a breath and slumped back onto the couch.

"I'm sorry, I'm just shocked. I know how much this means to you and how much you want her back. Did you talk to her yet?"

He shook his head.

"No, I just found out yesterday. I saw her across the highway at the motel. I'm too scared to go over there. I don't want to- I don't want to scare her away again."

I scooted closer to him and pulled him into a hug.

"Don't think that! Don't you ever think that she left because of you!"

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"It doesn't always feel that way. I just don't understand why she wouldn't want to be with her family. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like my dad wants to be a family," he said with his head lowered so I couldn't see his eyes.

I had heard enough from my boyfriend and I knew what I was going to do.

"I'm going over there!" I announced.