THREE: Never One To Listen

CHAPTER THREE: Never One To Listen

Duncan Everton had never been the one to listen, at least not in the traditional sense that would have classed him the ideal dutiful son. He slid his phone onto Peyton's lap after a phone call to his best friend, directing his car in the exact opposite direction to his house. Peyton gasped, pointing the direction they should have taken "Your parents want you home Duncan." he reminded once more.

"I'm not in the mood to be chastised or lied to." amping up the speed of his Rover.

"Lied to about what?"

"Lionel is throwing one of his ragers right now, I promised you a good prom this is part of it. I'll take you home safe."

Awkward silence ensued, the radio was off.

"Have you ever heard anything about that guy. Harold from your parents before?" Peyton asked. An curious excitement at the roof of his mouth.

Duncan was reminded of the flush that grew on Peyton when the stranger had kissed his hand. He thought of the stranger's good looks and concluded that even though the guy was weird, he was still a sight for sore eyes. His stomach clenched with jealousy "Why?" he probably sounded snappy - he was snappy but he didn't mean to sound it.

Peyton flinched, "I was just wondering out loud. Anyway let's go park on that side."

It felt even more awkward after that but they went through the motions of parking and showing their VIP passes to the club bouncers.

Lionel had been the one student from their school to always throw the best unsupervised parties in their town. "Yo, Duncan my boy!!" Lionel emerged through the waves of drunken and excited students. His platinum blonde and pink dreads a beacon in the darkness that when coloured lights of the LED hit him. His hair resembled the watercolours on a canvas, which for an odd reason, reminded Duncan of the unexplored painting back at the cottage.

"Sic party bruh." Duncan laughed pumping fists with his best friend ending in an enveloped easy and light hug.

"I know right. I'm already dodging pussy left and right." Lionel played with his fists sideways, stray dreads bouncing along with his head movements.

Duncan laughed, "You sure you're not sniffing it out?"

"Nah," Lionel laughed. "Sup Peyton" he gave a nod then leaned in to whisper "you totally look like a real dude, your surgery's working."

Peyton rolled his eyes unlacing his hands from Duncan's. "Hi Lionel, I love your liner is that from sephora bro?"

Lionel chocked on his drink, his eyes were naturally that dark and he hated it when people especially friends asked if he was wearing eyeliner to win a fight. "I see you brought sand to the beach?" he commented to his best friend, clearly taunting the former head cheerleader in a suit.