Chapter Thirty-Four

"Commodus, what happened to my father, the emperor?"

"Lucilla, it was time for us to close the chapter on Emperor Marcus Aurelius.  He is now part of history."

"But you killed him,"  she said.

"No, my sweet sister," Emperor Commodus said, "he suffered a stroke.  We found him in bed with an empty cup of wine next to his bed.  He may have choked on his supper."

"Come, my sister. Let me take care of you and your husband.  You will take your place next to me as an Augusta."

"No, my brother.  Let me live at the far corner of the earth.  Let my name be blotted out from the archives of Rome.  I regret that the world must forget that Marcus Aurelius was my father.  For I will be more happy to forget my brother."

Lucilla then walked to the right side of her chamber, turning her back on Emperor Commodus, her brother."

"As of now, I am no longer your sister."

The Curtain came down and there was a standing ovation by the audience.

Mark stood off stage while Lucilla stood at center stage with the audience still standing and cheering.

"I cannot believe she both wrote that play and acted so effectively, with such conviction," a woman said.

"You would think that that woman actually lived in Ancient Rome," another said. 

Lucilla receive the flowers given her by well wishers to Little Campus Theater.

Mark and their kids named Tony and Franchesca joined Lucilla on stage.

Mark kissed Lucilla.  "Oh, Lucy, you were magnificient."

"You were so good, mommy," Franchesca said.

"Can you tell us more about Lucilla, mommy?"  Tony said.

"Oh, Lucy, what does my professor-wife have to say?"

Monday morning, my lecture on the Rise of the Roman Empire will resume.