Chapter Nineteen

Mark found an out of the way hotel in order to comfort Lucilla after her near-tragic ordeal.  Although her assailants had not penetrated her, she still felt traumatzed by the sudden appearance of the two soldiers.  Often Lucilla would say that it was all her fault because she had slept with those men once before in for military information.

"If I had not been so overconfident about using my body to get information.  It seemed the right thing to do.  It is not as if I have not seduced so many men in my time.  Back in Rome during the feasts of Baccus, my husband would allow me to sleep with men.  He likewise would have his way.  I would prefer the young men, married or not, to take to a sleeping chamber.  They were always so easy to attract, so easy to control. Oh, I enjoyed such physical pleasures."

"That is not my Lucy, is it?"

"Oh, Mark, I do not know why you love me.  For the first time in my life I was not a woman in control.  I was helpless,  that makes me so afraid."

Mark did not press Lucilla to make love with him. Rather, he held her tight as they lay on their hotel room bed.  He kissed her over and over, wiped away the tears, and told her so often that he loved her. 

Three days later Lucilla was able to travel with Mark again, pedalling past Scalea.  They stopped often and bought post cards.  When they reached Castrocucco, they mailed their report to their safe address.

Mark and Lucilla discussed everything that they had seen over the past few days.

"From here down to Cucco-Riviere our Allies would have a suitable place to land invasion forces," Mark said.  Lucilla agreed.

There they found a hotel without a restaurant.  Their proprietor recommended another hotel overlooking the beach with a breathtaking view of the sea.  So after Mark and Lucilla had their clothes pressed again, they left their bicycles in the hands of the hotel clerk and enjoyed the evening breeze.  They smiled and held hands.  Lucilla had her confidence back as they walked the mile or so to the beach-side hotel.

There the mater de seated them and a young brown eyed lady with flowing black hair showed up at their table.  Her cleavage was more than revealing.  Mark and Lucilla ordered a filet mignon with potatoes and a local salad.  Then they enjoyed a few glasses of Tuscany wine.

At length they had eaten and were enjoying some bottled water from the Po Valley when a man about fifty years of age in a civilian suit showed up near their table.  Mark and Lucilla then invited him to join them.

"Oh, thank you, my young friends.  A Generali's life can be lonely when he is on leave."  He pulled out a cigarette.  "Do you mind if I smoke?  I have these American cigarettes taken from a prisoner.  I traded him a carton of our best Italian brands for his full pack." He lit up and blew smoke rings.  "They are so excellent."

"What brings you, excuse me, I am so rude.  I am Generali Fiorella on leave from the figting in Sicily." He took another puff.  "And, Signore and Signora, you are who?"

"Forgive me,"  Mark said, "we are Signore and Signora Giuseppe Carabeta."

"What brings you to these lovely parts?"

"We are on a vacation,  for my health."

"You have been a soldier?"

"Yes, I was in Greece where I met my Helena.  She is the love of my life."

Generali Fiorella leaned over to enjoy Lucilla's curves and breasts. "Ah, yes, your wife is so lovely."

"How do you think the war is going, Signore Carabeta?"