Chapter Twenty-three

"Nonno!" There before Mark stood a stout, late middle-aged man, whose hair was still almost all brown with grey inroads. He wore a smoking jacket with a solid white shirt and comfortable grey trousers. With the confidence of a Greek Hero, he reached out with his powerful arms for Mark.

Hugging and kissing Mark on one cheek and the other, he stepped back. "How is your father, Papa Costello?"

"He's mayor of Atlantic City and has interest in three casinos."

Smiling, his grandfather said, "Mama approves of gambling now?"

"No, Nonno, but she grins and bears it. During the week and twice on Sunday she says special Rosaries for Papa. She wants him to be ready for Saint Peter when his time com es."

"Who is this lovely lady with you?"

"This is Lucy, Nonno." Mark paused but hesitated. She is traveling as my wife"

Nonno's voice lowered. "You're here because of the war, aren't you?" He then stepped back and bade them to come in.

Grandfather Costello ushered Mark and Lucilla past his living room filled with antique lamps and slightly worn, overstuffed but comfortable brown print chairs and into his drawing room.

"Mama," he said on the way, "hot tea, cheese, and honey bread for our grandson and our guest."

He then sat down at a long desk with shelves of books behind him and seated Lucilla in one of the three wooden armchairs with cushions on the bottom.

"Now, Marcus," he said, as Mama was bringing in their snacks, "tell me about your mission here."

"You think I'm on a military mission?"

"We're at war with the United States. Of course, I'm not. Let's just say that you're traveling, touring if you please. That way, I can speak with honesty to the SS that I know nothing."

"Well Nonna." Mark looked at his grandmother with a smile. "We can't be specific but need your help."

Then Mark stood up. He had Lucilla stand while he hugged and kissed his grandmother. "Nonna, I want you to meet Lucy, who is traveling with me."

"She's like a wife? I've heard of Americans with women who are not married." She smiled at Lucilla.

"Nonna, she's special lady to me."

"A wife some day?"

"We hope, after the war."

With that Mark's grandmother gave Lucilla a warm hug and enthusiastic kiss on her cheek. She srepped back and said, "She has the hips for bearing strong children."

After a few minutes grandmother excused herself and returned to her kitchen.

"We have a problem with an agent cooperating with the SS. He's not German." Mark looked at Lucilla. "Lucy can fill you in."

Lucilla gave Nonno Costello a complete description and said he may answer to the name Petronius."

Grandfather Costello sat back with confidence. "My daughter, if I may call you that, nothing gets done in Salero unless I approve it." He laughed. "I've been mayor here for thirty years. Nothing happens here that I don't know about. No one comes and leaves here unless he has my permission."

Lucilla looked as if a thousand-year-old burden had been lifted from her shoulders. Her heart leaped. "Oh, thank you, Sejnore Costello!"

"My child, my aim in life is to serve God and take care of family, friends, and those under my responsibility." He rose and hugged Lucilla. "SS or no SS, Petronius will not harm you as long as you are in Salerno."