5: Dawn Of A Life

Start from the beginning

"Don't call me that."

"Fine then, my lady." Loki amended.

Katha scowled. "That's worse."

Loki chuckled. "Anyway, back to why you are in here. None of the other weapons suited your fancy?"

"Nope."

Loki hummed thoughtfully. Then he beckoned her out to the training field. As she followed him to an unoccupied space, his clothes shimmered into less formal ones. "Fight me without a weapon. I want to see where your instincts guide you." 

Katha narrowed her eyes, but obliged anyway. She felt a bit naked without a weapon. Remember your training, remember your training- training wasn't instinct, that's not what she should focus on right now, she chastised herself as she dodged Loki's strikes and dealt her own.

After a time, Loki disengaged, and held up a hand of truce. "I have an idea."

Katha nodded, and regained her breath. Loki knew how to fight. She looked back up at him, and he had a weapon in each hand. "Try these."

Carefully, she took them from him. Katha adjusted her grip on the blades, felt the balance, the weight, and looked at Loki. "What the hell are these called?" 

"Those are Haladies." Loki said. 

Katha hadn't heard of them before, but the wicked blades piqued her curiosity. Each had a handle, but on both ends was a curved blade. Turning to a dummy, she tested them out. She knew that she didn't know how to properly use them, but they seemed... right. And oh man, would they be able to tear someone up.

"Well, I have to get back to that spell, but I can give you some instruction for those before I leave you." Loki offered.

"Sure. That'd be great." Katha nodded.

~~~~~~

The spell was nearly done. Loki took a breath of air as he looked out the window. Lady Laura's children were playing outside. The Lady Natasha and Barton were playing with them. It was odd, to know that they had been two of the major players in his defeat, and yet here they were, running around with children.

Lady Laura stepped outside, and must have called them in for lunch because the children ran inside, followed by the adults who didn't run. Loki made his way downstairs, and waited by the bottom banister. 

Unfortunately, they didn't notice him, so he had to step into the living room. Cooper was the first to notice him as he was also the first to sit down, and he silently poked his younger sister who had just taken her seat. She looked up, and her face changed from confused to curious. "Oh, hey mister."

That caused the other adults to turn her way, and then his. "Do you need something?" Clint asked with narrowed eyes. Of course he wasn't trustworthy yet. Loki doubted that he wouldn't be for quite some time. 

"No. I just came to inform you that I'm almost done. She should wake up tomorrow morning." Loki said. He took a moment to register their faces before he turned and left the room.

Loki took his seat beside Katha's bed once again, and took a moment to relax. The weight of Another's mind within your own was still foreign and heavy. A knock came at the door. "Enter." Loki said politely.

The door quietly opened, and Laura stepped inside. She set down a plate of food before leaving. He sighed, and ate the meal. 

What was in store for him once he finished this task? What kind of recompense would he be forced to serve? What debt must he repay? All this, for something he had no control over, and no memory of.