The One I Return To

Magsimula sa umpisa

"And I love you, more than anything in this world!" Klaus gave me a kiss on my head. "I guess, I merely feel guilty."

"Why?"
"Well, I did not make enough of the time I had with you here. I pushed you away because I did not consider what such an act meant."

"There was no way for you to know," I started. Klaus stopped me by putting his finger on my lips.

"Let me finish," he begged. "I didn't make enough of our time, and I know my future self will make up for my loss. I know because I love you always and forever. He will have to do what I cannot, even though I had planned to."

"Planned to what?"

Klaus rummaged around in his pockets until he found a small wooden box. When he opened it, my heart skipped a beat.

"These are the objects I want spelled," Klaus disclosed.

"Are you serious? You were," my voice cracked. Inside the box, there were two beautiful, regal rings.

"Yes, my love. I was going to propose to you with these." He smiled and my heart felt as if it would burst with joy any second. "My future self will have to do it for me, which is why they're perfect to hold our memories."

They were! They were perfect! He was perfect.

"My answer will always be yes!" I squeaked and kissed him passionately. His lips curled into a smile.

"I'm aware, sweetheart," he said muffled. "But remember that when I ask you in the future."

I chuckled. How could you love someone this much? I had always wanted to be someone's one and only, and Klaus had defied everything - even the path of time itself - to make me his.

He had promised to wait for me however long it would take, and with the proposal he had planned, he had wanted to truly show me his love in all its glory.

As he requested, Ellie spelled the rings and handed them back to Klaus, cautioning him to keep them with him at all costs. He pressed them against his quest as if they were sacred. In a way, they were. They would be the only chance to regain our memories of this time after I was sent back.

"Aunt Caroline, it's time," Gregory informed me. The family had built a circle of unlit candles, Ellie in its middle, her hand stretched out to me.

"One second, I'll be right there."
One last time, I ran to pull Rebekah into a tight hug.

"Be careful,", she whispered. "Don't want one of my best friends to get hurt."

"You too," I said. "And don't sweat it, we'll see each other again. It'll be vastly different at first, but we will find our way back as friends."

I gave a wink. She would understand what I meant in the future once she got her memories back. We'd be sisters in law, if everything went according to plan.

Now, to the most difficult goodbye.
Klaus cupped my face with his hands and leaned forward to give me a kiss on my forehead, nose and finally, my lips.

We vanished into the sensual touch. I ruffled through his long hair and he moved me closer to him, almost unwilling to ever let me go.

But he had to. One last time, he had to let me go. We locked eyes, me quietly promising that he would never have to again. He smiled and his dimples were as clear as day.

After this heartfelt goodbye, I finally stepped into the circle and took Ellie's wrinkled hand.

"Are you ready?" she asked, her voice low. There was a tear in her eye, and she blinked in an attempt to hide her own sorrow.

I wiped it away, putting all my motherly love into the gesture.
"I am ready."

My sweet angel. If I could bear children of my own, I would tell them of the strongest, most beautiful girl I had ever gotten a chance to raise.

The pang of certainty, this would never happen, made me gulp.

Ellie spread her arms wide, all her siblings, children, nieces, and nephews mirroring her movement.

"I call upon thee spirits," she hollered, then shifted into the ancient words of witchcraft. The candles burst aflame and covered us in their wavery warmth and reddish light.

Though I did not understand what they were saying, I felt each word lift me up, send me into the direction of my second home - my present.

Ellie, with a smile, took my hand in hers once again. Energy surged through me and I started fading, my body tingling and slumping slowly to the ground.

"With love, we set you free to return," I heard Ellie's voice. My vision blurred and I spiraled forwards, everything around me mixing into a heap of colors and light.

Then, for a second, I stood still, until I tripped and landed on my hands and knees.

My mind was clouded, and I coughed as hands grabbed me and helped me up.

"My love, are you alright? You look pale."

I could not yet see clearly and tentatively tried to feel my helper.

"Sweetheart?"

"Klaus?"