16 - Falling To Ashes

Začít od začátku

Palmer is angry, asking me why I'm here. I'm nice, I explain, but he still pulls me into his house.

"Ash, Ash, listen to me, bud. It's October, 2019. You're at school, sophomore year. It's me, it's Cole, you're okay."

I hear the words but I can't reach them. I'm only thinking them. Why would Cole's voice be in my head?

Another punch and I scream out. My body hits the floor, but I'm already on the floor. They're hitting me and it hurts just the same.

One of them takes my hand, their faces start twisting into monstrous ones.

"Squeeze my hand, Ash. This is Cole's hand, squeeze my hand."

I keep crying. I squeeze the hand. I'm praised.

Palmer tells them to take me upstairs. It's a blur and I can't see it or hear it my name they're calling my name why my name—

Burn.

I can't breathe. The air is taken out of me as I'm held under the water. The cuts put in me screaming. It's bloody. The water just red. Then purple. Then black. And it's tar. It burns.

Can't breathe can't breathe my chest is tight and I want air and I want to go home and air.

I'm thrown down the stairs, crawling out of the door to see the porch. I turn my phone on and see Cole.

The hallway floor is in my view. I'm sobbing, my head against my brother, Cole holding me, my hand in his. It was his hand I was squeezing.

"Cole." I sob out.

He wraps his arms around me, his arm cupping my chin. I turn around to face him and just touch his features. It's really him, he's really here.

"I'm here, bud, I'm here. It's me." He rubs his thumbs under my eyes, trying to dry my tears. "Can you tell me the date today?"

I shake my head. "I couldn't even tell you that before the flashback." I laugh a little, him following.

"Okay, what month is it?"

I think. If I'm here, and this is real time, then it's October. "October?"

"Good, good job, bud. You did good."

Good.

"How are you feeling? Do we need to call Liam or Drew?"

"No, I should be good in a minute."

"Take your time. Here, my hands are here."

He holds them out for me and I take them, feeling every part of it. His skin feels like human skin. And his fingers have all the bones in the right place. And the nails feel like nails. And his palms have little lines on them, where they should be.

Eventually, I feel well enough to head back to class. Cole walks me there, something I don't mind. He did just help me after all. I don't want to be mean by telling him to go away, I know he just cares.

I get a text from Liam.

Liam: why aren't you in class?

Ash: I was feeling sick so I went to the bathroom and Cole found me. He's walking me to class rn

Liam: ok bud call me if you need to come home

I look to Cole before he leaves me and he gives me a questioning look. One that asks me if I'm okay. I nod in response, and open the door.

I take my seat in the back and the teacher looks at me sternly. My eyes are still red and puffy, and that's all it takes for her to soften her look.