She's a Major City Girl - He's a Pure Country Boy. Who knew? -Part 3-

Sorry for the delay, but I had some stuff going on. Decorating our Christmas tree, that kinda thing. Anyway, I know this one is short, so please bear with me. It's growing, just has a slow start.

Please comment!

-------------------

The woman that opened the door was everything Essie had dreaded. She had mousy brown hair messily gathered in a loose bun and wasn't wearing a trace of make up. She was wearing a dress that looked exactly like a tablecloth, large, drapey, and floral patterned. There was a half naked drooling baby on her hip.

"Hi!" the woman trilled, shifting the baby to her other hip. "Come on in!"

Kate and Essie stepped inside the house.

"Feel free to take a seat," the woman smiled, putting her baby down on the floor. Her accent was a heavy southern drawl that Essie had thought was only that thick in movies.

Disgustedly, Essie and Kate stepped towards the faded red sofas, avoiding clutter thrown around on the carpet.

"Sorry we're late," Kate apologized, awkwardly folding herself down onto the sofa. "Traffic on the interstate."

"Oh, that's natural this time of day," the woman answered, sitting down in the wooden chair oppisote them. "No problem at all." She looked at Essie.

"Oh, and you must be Esther. My name's Louise. You can call me Lou if you wa--"

"My name is not 'Esther'," Essie interupted, twirling a dark brown strand of hair around her finger. "Its Essie."

Louise frowned, but covered it up quickly with a smile. "Of course." she smiled. Then she glanced at the stairs.

"Why aren't those boys down yet?" Louise mumbled to herself. "SHAD! LEVI! KENNY! GET YOURSELVES DOWN HERE."

Lousie looked at Kate and Essie. "Boys...What are you gonna do about em?"

Kate smiled back, but Essie continued her stony glare.

Two boys ran down the stairs, one who looked older then Essie, and one who looked about ten. The older one whooped and pumped his fist when he saw Essie.

"Yes! I knew you weren't lying when you said she was pretty, Momma! Levi told me that you were so nice that you'd call some ugly old toothless broad pretty, but I knew you weren't lyin'!"

He smiled at Essie. "The name is Shad." he said, extending his hand.

Essie raised her eyebrow and ignored his hand. "Excuse me, did you say "Shag"?"

"Shad. With a "D"."

"Oh."

Louise smiled. "He goes by a nickname too. Guess y'all have something in common. His real name is Shadrach."

Essie cracked a small smile at the absurdity of that name. Shad hung his head, faking embarrassment. "Yeah, go ahead and laugh," he groaned. "Momma wanted something biblical."

"Essie's name is biblical too." Kate interjected, giving her niece a sly smile. She looked at Shad. "Her name is Esther."

"Ha!" he smiled victoriously. "Im not the only one!"

Essie frowned through her emotional embarrassment of the name 'Esther.' "My name is biblical?"

Everyone in the room, besides Kate, looked at her blankly. "Yeah..." Shad trailed. Essie felt the tension that can only happen when you enter the home of Bible thumpers.

Great.

"Esther was the queen that saved the Jews!" the little boy by Shad piped up.

"Oh yeah, I remember. From Hitler, right?" Essie asked. She was meant by blank silence again. Kate buried her head in her hands in embarrassment.