Make the World Go Away

Start from the beginning

"Baby, I talked to your aunt today and she told me everything is planned. It's in two days, everyone wanted to give you some extra time. The doctor is going to let you out tomorrow. You and I are staying at your house until you're ready to leave and move to Florida. Or we can stay here and live in New Orleans. You take your time and think about what you want and whatever you want, I'll make sure it happens."

She whispers an ok and lays back on the bed. The tears begin to trickle down her cheeks. I wipe her tears as soon as they fall. With her looking at me this way, it hurts, she is so sad. I swear I will do everything in my power to make sure she never looks this broken ever again. The tears continue, and I keep wiping. It's so quiet in her room and the only sound is the intercom and squeaking nurse shoes outside the door. But the world is outside of this room and right now it's just us. I continue to watch her face, finding something new every time I look at her. Her eyelids begin to get heavy.

"Sleep baby. I'm right here and the world is out there, I won't let it in until you're ready." Kissing her hand, I watch her lids drift closed and hope her sleep remains dreamless. I know what nightmares can do to a person. I notice she's deeper in sleep now and with the two guards at the door and the guys cruising the lot, I lay my head down on the bed next to her and let sleep claim me.

My head snaps up with the opening of the door. I turn around and I'm face to face with her aunt.

"Hi Cat."

"Aren't you too old for my niece?"

"Probably, but Tank is ok with it and he told Lizzie. I fell in love with her two years ago and promised Tank I would wait until she turned eighteen. Her birthday was six months. So, here I am."

She does not look happy. Oh fuck! She's noticed the ring.

"Is that an engagement ring? She's in the hospital and her mother was just killed in the same accident that put her here and you propose?!"

"I told her I would wait as long as she wanted, but I wanted her to understand exactly what she meant to me."

The door opens again and thank God, it's Tank and Grit.

"Tank are you aware your daughter is wearing an engagement ring?"

"No. Thank you for enlightening me Cat. I can call her Gran in Ireland and let her know she'll be coming for a wedding soon."

"Tank! You cannot be serious?"

"Cat, this doesn't concern you. She's over eighteen, I know him very well, I trust him, he loves her, and Lizzie was good with it. We were on the phone a day before the wreck talking about when he would be coming to New Orleans and how she thought Sarah Grace would react to it."

Thankfully Cat is in stunned silence that someone would talk to her like that.

"Well, you can't-"

"Enough Cat! I'm her father and that's what matters. Not your opinion from Miami. Now shut the hell up before you wake up me girl!"

Spinning on her heel, she storms out of the room, leaving all of us frustrated by her argument. Tank looks at me and I know he's as frustrated as I am.

"You know me boy, there's gonna be a-lot of people who feel the way she does."

"And all of those people can go to hell."

All three of our heads jerk to look at the bed. That's my girl. I smile and lean in to give her a quick kiss on her lips. Thankfully the Chapstick is helping, they are already softer, and they don't look as painful as they did. She smiles back and looks at the other two in the room. She looks so innocent. Tank is all the way laughing now and I think Greaser is choking, I'm not sure. I've never heard him laugh or seen anyone who laughs silently.

"That's me girl. How do you feel, daughter?"

"Pops, I have no energy. I can't be in the second line or even get to Saint Louis. I don't want to go to the cathedral and have everyone stare at me. And I know what they're thinking "poor girl". And how am I supposed to get something besides this tablecloth on?"

"If you don't want to go, you don't have to. Your aunt might not understand, but she is completely different from your mother. She always did act like she had a stick up her ass. Daughter, you get out of the hospital tomorrow, so you can sit in bed with that wild beastie cat."

"Thank you pops."

She lays her head back and I know something is on her mind. I know this girl. She's putting it together, because she wants to get it just right.

"Pops, why are there guards outside the door? Does this have anything to do with that man who looked in the window that night?"

Tank motions for me to move, but I just get out of the chair and move my butt to the bed, placing my hand on her leg and relinquishing her hand to her father. She looks at me, then looks back at her father, waiting for his answer.

"Daughter, I'm afraid it did. There is someone out there that wanted to use your mother against me and to-"

He chokes up and can't even finish, I know how he feels. I can't imagine breathing in a world without this girl.

"Kill me." She answers for both of us.

"Yes. Thankfully the idiots failed. When you're ready I'm moving you into the club house, so I know you're guarded well. When this all gets taken care of, you can move back here, if that's what you want. But right now, I need you close."

"Ok, pops. What about my horses and showing?"

"We'll move them to Florida too. The weather is warmer, and I'll look into finding some shows for you. Does this work for you?"

"Yes, sounds good."

"Glad you agree, now rest up.  See ya tomorrow me girl."
He kisses her forehead and walks to the door, the others stand and follow, nodding at me on the way out.

"Shooter, watch me girl well. The guards in the hall are staying and so are the boys in the lot.  They'll be there til this problem is finished or she moves.  See you tomorrow."

"Goodnight Tank. Don't worry about us, you know I'll guard her with my life."

He steps out the door and we're alone again. I sit back in the chair, resting my arms on the bed and my head on my arms.  She's already asleep and I will be soon, dreaming of our future together.