Chapter 18

A/N: I'm sorry for this short and useless chapter. This story is wrapping up soon. Thank you to all who took the time out to read it.
   This chapter was actually edited, I'm glad!

Enjoy!

_________________________________________

  Ladybug was proud of her little one.
In fact she had hoped Louis would become a role model to her daughter.

   She couldn't have asked for a better son.
    Ladybug was so invested in having her children back, she didn't even recognize that her earrings were beeping.

      Ladybug had a hunch that she was able to save Adrien, but her heart only seemed to sink even more so the moment she realized that Adrien failed to make an appearance at the classroom door.

     Ladybug frowned, her eyes glancing over towards the door.
    There was no movement.

  Emma whimpered in her mother's arms. The baby twisting her head to look for a source of milk. She clenched her fists together, attempting to grip on to Ladybug's skin tight suit.

     Louis reached for his sister, his fingertips running through his sisters dark hair.

    In a quick flash, Ladybug had detransformed back into Marinette.
  Emma gasped at the gust of magic, her green eyes wide as she went silent. The baby blinked, not entirely sure why she saw her mother appear after this stranger had her.

    "Marinette?" Tikki asked, her head poking out from Marinette's collar as she landed randomly from her earring.
   "Is everything okay?"

"I have such a bad headache-" Plagg interjected, popping his head out of Marinette's small bag. "I have no idea what happened, but I feel like I've been thrown around..."

   Marinette frowned, gently sliding the bag off of her shoulder and placing it on the ground. It only had been a few hours since she had seen her kids, but she wasn't sure when was the last time they had eaten. She knew she had to get Emma some of the bottles she pumped at home, but as always, she couldn't get her mind off the worry that Adrien was dead.
   It was something she couldn't fathom. She understood the panic and the overwhelming sadness he spoke about when Lila forced him to live without her.

  It almost made her sick to her stomach.

   "Can you guys watch the children?" Marinette asked, her voice quivering as she was terrified of what she might find on the other side of the door.

   Adrien suffered, holding her lifeless body in her arms. He was forced to watch her die. He had lived with the thought for as long as he lived.
   Even though everything had been erased, Adrien still suffered.
   What made it worse was that he felt he was at fault.

   Marinette wouldn't know what to do with herself if she had to go through what Adrien did.
    If it were her, she'd be having nightmares, she wouldn't be able to get the image out of her head and she certainly would feel at fault for not listening to him when he tried to explain to her how he was feeling.

   She could have prevented him from being akumatised. She could have protected him from Felix, she could have saved him from a lot of things.

    "We'd be more than happy to..." Tikki assured, watching as Marinette carefully handed the baby over to Louis.
    Louis wrapped his arms around his younger sister, drawing her to his body to keep her close.

Marinette leaned forward, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of her son's head.

    "I'll be right back..." she carefully pulled away, her heart squeezing in her chest as she stood up on shaking legs.

   With overwhelming reluctance, Marinette excused herself from the classroom, the sound of her daughter's cries fading out the moment the door closed behind her.

   Marinette lowered her eyes, her chest feeling heavy at the empty halls. The rain poured through the court below them.
    A frown tugged at her lips, and she reached up to rub her blushing cheek.

    "Adrien?" She called out softly, her voice echoing throughout the halls loudly. She glanced down the hall, spotting the principal's office. It had felt like such a long time since she had been here in these halls.
    This was where her relationship with Adrien started.

   She pressed her lips together, her heart aching as she climbed down the steps.
   The blunette glanced up at the opening in the roof where she had last seen Adrien.

   There was nothing.

Marinette felt tears pooling in her eyes as she feared that it was possible she was too late.
   She was going to live her life without one of the reasons who gave her a purpose to.
   She didn't want her children to grow up without their father either.

She knew it would kill Louis.

"A-Adrien?" Marinette called out once more, immediately running toward the front doors of their old school.

  The young woman stood out on the front steps, tears sliding down her cheeks as the rain poured against her.
   Her blue eyes lowered down towards the mass amount of steps that led to the main walkway.

  She flinched, hearing the thunder rumble throughout the sky.
   She reached up, cupping her hands over her eyes as she was ready to break out into a sob.

   She could hear the rain slapping against the pavement beneath her, and Marinette cried, her chest heaving as her fiance was no where to be found.
   The rain was like ice, it nearly burned her skin each time each droplet landed on her.

   Marinette paused, the feeling of the rain halting. In fact she could hear the pitter patter sounds if the rain landing on something that hovered above her.

   The blunette opened her eyes, her heart squeezing in her chest as she could very visibly make out the black umbrella that hovered above her.

     Nearly dropping to her knees, Marinette immediately whipped her head back.

   Adrien stood behind her, a weary smile on his face as he offered her the umbrella the same way he did those many years ago when they were teens.

   "Hey..." he murmured softly, his eyes weary with stress, but simply glad to be alive. "You saved me..."

   There was a brief silence between the two of them and Adrien glanced around calmly.

"This looks familiar, doesn't it?" He asked in a soft chuckle.

   Marinette widened her eyes, her bottom lip quivering as she immediately threw herself into his arms, causing him to drop the umbrella.

   "I was so scared!" She sobbed into his chest, shivering as his arms wrapped around her. "I was so scared I lost you. I didn't know what to do!"

  Adrien closed his eyes, the sounds of her sobs breaking his heart.
   But he understood her pain. He had been there before. He had sobbed just as she did when he lost her back then.

  He pressed soft kisses to the top of her head and he was finally able to feel her again. Her warmth permeated through the fabric of his clothing, and Adrien wanted nothing more than to simply hold her.

   "I know..." he whispered. "I'm here now. We have each other..."

   Marinette pulled back, resting her chin on to his chest. The blunette reached down, guiding his hand to her freckled damp cheek.

"Can you feel me?" She asked, shivering at the warmth of his soft skin. "You feel so warm..."

   Adrien trembled, his thumb caressing over her beautiful freckled cheek.

"I...I can feel you..."