Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

  "You could have taken out Nemesis Prime whenever you wanted to," I realized. "You didn't have to use a defense bubble in the first place."

  She shrugged. "I realized that Nemesis had barely any power to start up, since we shattered its energon before it could get to it, so it couldn't use any weapons except for its fists. All I really needed to do was let it tire itself out a bit, but I thought the bubble would make things more dramatic, you know, to snap you out of it."

  I shook my head, then saw movement out of the corner of my eye. The scientists were still huddled underneath their worktables, and Amanda sighed.

  "I'll call Agent Fowler," She said, and then winced when she took a step, making me shoot her a concerned look, which she waved away. "Sprained ankle, it's nothing. Besides, you look like you took most of the beating."

  I scrubbed a hand over my face. "Just call Fowler. I want to go home."

~~~

[Amanda]

  The moment Agent Fowler arrived, Finn and I were separated by the hundreds of military personnel who swarmed the factory. A bunch of the higher ranking people kept pestering me with questions on top of questions, and I only feared how they were treating Finn, who still didn't seem completely okay to me. Eventually, Agent Fowler gave everyone orders to focus on scrubbing the MECH factory and detaining the MECH agents, which gave me the opportunity to actually breath.

  I found Finn a few minutes later, watching as the military personnel loaded the MECH agents into their trunks, the MECH agents all handcuffed and properly restrained. He stiffened when a military soldier emerged with Lauriana, who caught his gaze just as she was shoved into a truck. He kept watching though, even after all the MECH agents were loaded up and taken away, his mind clearly elsewhere. He didn't notice me until I bumped my shoulder into his arm.

  "Hey," I said, prompting his to finally tear his eyes away.

  "I want to believe this is it," he said. "That MECH's gone for good, but I know it's not. Some part of me knows that they're still out there."

  "They might be," I admitted. "But even if they are, they're nowhere near as powerful as they were. It's going to take them a long time to rebuild everything they had, and we'll be waiting for them the moment they try to make a move."

  He didn't reply, eyes back on the disappearing trucks. I looked down to see his hands shaking, so I slipped mine through his and squeezed, forcing the shaking to stop.

  "We'll be here," I repeated. "We won't let this happen again."

  "And if it does? If they come back- if you get hurt again- I-"

  "It won't happen," I made my tone firm now. "I promise."

  He turned towards me and let go of my hand, a sad look on his face. "Don't make promises you can't keep, A."

  I lifted my chin to look him in the eyes. "I didn't."

  I'm not sure how long we stood like that, him begging me to take my words back and me refusing, but we broke out of our stance when Agent Fowler walked over.

  "We'll take it from here," He told us, and then gave Finn a clap on the shoulder. "If you need anything, kid, I'm here. Don't hesitate to call."

  Finn nodded, but didn't say anything. I stepped in to take the attention off of him.

  "I'll drive us back to Jasper," I said, and Agent Fowler gave me a thankful look. Finn just turned and headed to my Mustang, which I had summoned moments before, the passenger door opening when he got there.

  "Do you think he'll be okay?" I asked Agent Fowler. "I'm... not the best with this sort of thing, but everything that's happened... It's personal for him."

  Fowler nodded. "He's a good kid, one of the best. He just needs time. Thank you, Amanda."

  I shook my head. "I should be thanking you for the backup. If those guys had woken up before you came, I don't think we'd be having this conversation the same way."

  "You didn't seem to need the help," He raised an eyebrow. "You both make quite a team you know. Looks like Prime rubbed off on you."

  That made a small smile cross my face. "Dare to dream."

  "And how's the ankle?"

  I shrugged. "Stiff, but it's not broken. I've sprained things before, Fowler."

  "Just take it easy," he gave me a stern look. "I don't want Prime finding out that you were hurt only a week after he left."

  "Oh no," I laughed. "He'd never leave me alone!"

  "Exactly," Fowler pulled me in for a quick hug. "Now go get some rest."

  I saluted, earning me another grin. As I walked/limped to my Mustang, Fowler called out, "Are you sure you can drive like that?"

  "I don't drive with my left foot!" I shot back, smiling over my shoulder.

~~~

  The drive to Finn's apartment was silent except for the hum of the Mustang's engine. The streets of Jasper were empty for the most part, only a couple of cars still on the road. As we drove through town, I mentally applauded BeckIT for doing such a good job on rebuilding the town. It was like nothing even happened.

  We finally pulled up to the apartment complex, and Finn reached for the door.

  "Thanks, A," he said, climbing out. "For everything."

  "Anytime," I replied, but frowned as he began to walk toward the building. Impulse took over and I climbed out of the car. "Finn, wait."

  He turned around, surprise on his face, but he waited until I limped over. I slipped my arms around his torso, and pulled him close.

  "I mean it," I said. "I'll be here. Always."

  His body froze for a split second before his arms came around me. He rested his cheek against the top of my head as I pressed mine onto his collar. We stayed like that for a long moment before I reluctantly let him go and stepped back.

  "You should go rest up," I said quietly. "It's been a long day."

  Finn sighed. "Yeah. You too, though."

  "Oh believe me," I stretched. "Sleep is definitely a top priority."

  He finally smiled, before reaching for me one more time, and he pressed his lips against mine lightning quick. "Goodnight, A."

  With that, he turned and headed into his building, leaving me standing there in shock.

  Did he just-?!

  I'm going to kick his ass.