Chapter Nineteen

So this chapter ended up being super long, which is why I split it. Get ready to be hit with two chapters today :)

[Elsewhere]

   "What do you want from me?"

   "Your assistance actually. To complete a little.. Science project."

   "I will never cooperate."

   "Shockwave does not require your cooperation to siphon your knowledge, Doctor."

[Amanda]

   The moment we returned to the base, I could sense the weariness and anxiety of the Autobots. They were all worn out, though less than Optimus had been, and stress was clear on their faces. Agent Fowler was on the phone, pacing irritably. I stayed on Optimus' shoulder, giving me the ideal spot to survey the base.

   "Listen, I need 24/7 satellite monitoring," He was saying. "Eyes to the skies and ears to the ground."

   Wheeljack clacked away on a computer as he spoke up. "Maybe Buckethead's after the techno-babble."

   Everyone turned to peer at the computer screen.

   "The Synth-En formula?" Arcee asked.

   "Why would the Cons need the artificial stuff if they already control most of this planet's energon reserves?" Smokescreen said.

   Bulkhead shrugged. "Greed. What else?"

   I shook my head, which Optimus must have seen out of the corner of his eye, because he began to speak then, "If Megatron is truly rebuilding the Omega Lock, as Amanda and Ratchet surmised, synthetic energon might be a necessary component."

   "Agreed," I said. "There's a very specific way to rebuild that lock, and it's a delicate process. The Cons can't mess up by just winging it with the synth-en."

   Finn cleared his throat from his spot on the platform next to Agent Fowler. "I hate to bring lightning to a thunderstorm, but there's one thing we're all ignoring. If the Cons found Ratchet here, they know the location of this base."

   "Scrap," I muttered under my breath as the others all looked down. We couldn't afford to start over again. Not at a time like this.

   Jack spoke up from his spot in front of the various computers on the wall. "All aerial search patterns are coming up empty."

   Arcee shook her head from the computer she was at. "No comm link chatter either."

   "And no ground activity." Wheeljack finished. "It's a little too quiet out there."

   "Since the Decepticons no longer seek Predacon bones or Earth technology," Optimus started. "There is no activity to track."

   "So until Megatron makes a move," Bulkhead said. "We're in a holding pattern."

   A sudden wave of queasiness cut through me, and I began chewing my lip. Another one of my bad feelings, brought to you by Cleona's powers, was never good news and always foretold that something really bad was going to happen.

   "Ratchet didn't think this new hand he built for me was good enough," Ultra Magnus announced, making a fist with his prosthetic. "But I'll tell you what truly isn't good enough. Giving up." He glanced up at Optimus, who nodded slightly, before he continued. "We have no choice but to play this old school. Split into teams for maximum coverage."

   My vision flashed silver and I nearly pitched forward because of how intensely my bad feeling got worse, drawing everyone's attention to me. Optimus raised his hand and I crawled onto it, suddenly unable to get on my feet.

   "Amanda, what is wrong?" The Prime asked, concern flashing over his face.

   I shook my head, pulling on the silver flash to bring me to the problem. That's when I saw a fleet of Decepticons soaring across the sky, getting closer by the second.

   "They're coming!" I exclaimed, my eyes snapping open to meet those of the Prime. "There's a fleet of Cons on their way right now."

   "How much time do we have?" Smokescreen asked.

   I shook my head. "A couple of minutes."

   Everyone looked to Optimus, but it was Finn who came up with the idea.

   "They're looking for hanger E," he said, a small smile tugging on his lips. "So let's let them have it."

~~~

   "We have incoming," Agent Fowler reported. "A whole fleet's worth."

   I glanced over at Finn, who stood next to me on the platform, and he gave me a firm nod. Then my gaze went to Optimus, who also nodded slightly.

   "Send in the air strike," Finn said, and Agent Fowler relayed the message to the military command center. The sound of jet engines filled the air, and then bullets firing. My heart pounded, but I knew this would work. It had to work.

   "And there it is," Finn muttered and I looked up at the monitor to see two missiles heading towards-

   An explosion shook the ground and I reached out to the platform railing to steady myself. But still, a grin spread across my face as the sound of jet engines faded.

   "It worked!" Bulkhead whooped. I let out a breath I didn't realize I had been holding. The Cons fell for it.

   Thank goodness.

   "The mess hall sure is a mess now," Smokescreen commented.

   "We are fortunate that Decepticons can be fooled by a simple paint job," Ultra Magnus said.

   I glanced over at Finn, whose face was painted with evident relief, and I grabbed his hand, squeezing it slightly. He turned to meet my gaze, and at my smile, one of his own broke out across his face.

   "Good plan," I said.

   "Good?" Miko exclaimed, throwing her arms around Finn. "It worked great!"

   Agent Fowler walked up behind us. "The ground team is taking care of the fire." He put a hand on Finn's shoulder. "Good work, kid."

   As the others gathered around to congratulate Finn, something began buzzing in my ears, like a slight static that overtook the conversation. I turned away, scanning the base for the source with my powers. They latched onto the bit of Laserbeak that Smokescreen had shot off, which rested on the lab table, and I furrowed my brow before heading towards it. I summoned my powers and used them to grab the piece of metal.

   "Amanda?" Optimus' voice broke me out of my trace just as I my fingers wrapped around it.

   "Did we really take a look at this?" I said, grabbing everyone's attention.

   "What do you mean?" Agent Fowler asked.

   I brushed my fingers over the metal, feeling the static tingle under my touch. "It's... doing something." My eyes went straight to Raf. "Do you have your laptop?"

   He took a step back, my sharp tone making him hesitate. "Always."

   Then I looked at Arcee. "Where does Ratchet keep his alligator cables?"

   "The bucket next to his lab computer," She replied, also unsure.

   "Amanda," Ultra Magnus cut me off. "Why are you asking for these resources?"

   "Because," I held up the metal. "This is trying to do something and I think Raf is the only one who can find out what."