Chapter 23

My brain stutters for a moment and my eyes take in more light than I expected, every part of me goes on pause while my thoughts catch up.

That's how I feel now, trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as the name bounces around inside my skull.

"What do you mean I should choose Minju? Does that mean-"

"You know, I can't remember anything about what I did with my life before the notice came. I think I spend most of it studying and hanging out with Yujin when she's free.

Just doing the same things, day in and day out. But then I met you, and then I made friends with Minju and everything changes. On days I met up with you two, I'd fall asleep remembering all the fun time we had together.

It was like I gathered up new treasures every day, little by little. People start to talk to me in class too. My world changed so drastically that it was like someone cast a spell on me.

You and Minju changed me. Your and Minju's love has that power. I don't know if you're fated lovers or anything like that, but you should have the chance to love each other. I too... Have the chance to love Yujin.

I did some research about the notices and found one way to get out of a match peacefully. Just have to keep lying to the ministry. We'll have to tell them we don't get along, that a match between us don't work.

People who have their matches fail aren't forced to be matched again. So Minju can do the same thing to have her match dissolved and the two of you can be together. What do you think?"

A lie.... So we have to lie...

"It'll be hard to pretend like I hate you."

"It's okay... It's just a lie."

I don't want to... I don't want to lie again...

"I don't want to... I don't..."

"Chaewon... You're in love with Minju, aren't you? You've been in love with her since 3rd grade... And because of that, you've been horrible to me when we first met... Because you love her and only her..."

"It's true... I love Minju... I always have... I love her when she's smiling... When she's flustered... Even when she's annoyed, I still love her... I love her even if she tries too hard... Or when I don't know what she's thinking... I love whatever she does..."

The night came whispering sweet nothings, luring heat from tired muscles until they could rest no more.

It caressed our skin until it stole the pink blush and replaced it with blue. Above was the beauty of the stars, the clear night allowing the meagre heat of the day to leave unhindered.

"Are you okay with this, Wonyoung? Then... What's going to happen between you and me?"

"We started out saying we were going to work together to find out what Minju feels about you. We get along well because of Minju. Even when we part our ways, nothing is going to change between us. I'll always be by your side.

I love to see Minju smile brightly. Seeing her smile like that made me realise how wonderful it might be to love someone. I want her to smile like that again."

"I do too..."

My sadness is a hollowness. I can't tell you what's worse. Sometimes my hollowness is a shell, holding in a thousand oceans of tears. Sometimes though, it holds a thousand pieces of glass that are wedged in between my soul and body. That's the pain.