Chapter 1

"Good morning!" I greeted, as I opened the door to the police station. To the untrained eye, today looks like a slow day in the station, but I know that even though there isn't anyone waiting at the wooden benches, the station is still humming with activity. There's paperwork to be filed, calls to be answered, officers to dispatch, and most interesting to me, cases to solve. To me, it feels warm and inviting inside, and is a glimpse into a world that I love to be in. In fact, I spend a lot of time in here, but not for the reasons that you would think.

When I was 10 years old, my mother died in a car accident, and 2 years later, my father was killed, leaving custody of me to my older brother, Seungbae. Since I was too young to stay home alone, and he still had too keep up his job as a detective, he got special permission to bring me into the station, as long as I promised not to be disruptive. And I was anything but disruptive, in fact, on my first day, I actually helped the police catch a pimp before he could contact his superiors to hide the girls he owned. (He had a radio hidden in the bottom of his shoe, and was using Morse code to smuggle the information. But none else noticed because he was thrashing around so much.)

So after that, they let me hang out in the main lobby, and I can help with as many criminal cases as I want. Because I'm not technically a depute yet, I can't help with much, but It's fascinating to me, being a detective, and not just finding out what people did, but why they did it.

"What smells so good?!" One of the officers inquired. Looking in my direction, as I step in, the heated hall wrapping me in a fuzzy blanket of warmth, a much needed change from the bitter February wind. In my hands, I have 2 boxes of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. In fact, they were so fresh, I had pulled them out of the oven minutes before I left the house to come to the station in the first place.

"I made cookies!" I announced back, with a smile on my face.

"Good morning Hye-Jin." Chief Kwak called, looking up from his computer, but keeping the rest of his body facing the computer, clearly ready to get on with his day. "Why the cookies?"

"Good morning to you too." I greeted, before explaining. "I made the cookies as an apology, on behalf of my brother for his behavior yesterday."

"Oh, yea!" The officer exclaimed. "I swear, that whole Sangwoo thing was the most dramatic case I've ever seen! Your lucky you happened to be in Hye-Jin!"

"I was." I chuckle. And I was happy to have seen everything, well, part of me that loves drama was. The other, more humanitarian part of me was still trying to figure out why the hell Sungbae beat up that man, simply because of his sexuality!!!!

"It definitely was." Chief Kawa responded, in his monotone voice. "Thank you, Hye-Jin, your efforts to apologize are much appreciated."

"Do you want me to put them in the break room?" I confirm, before getting the head nod that it was ok.

"Is there something else I can do for you?" He inquired, as I walked out of the break room, one box of cookies still in hand.

"Yes," I replied, running my hand through the hair behind my ears. "I was wondering if it was legally possible if you could tell me Mr.Oh's address?" I asked, trying to sound a heck of a lot more confident than I Actually am.

This request, however, cuts his focus from the monitor, and he spun to face me. "Why on earth do you need his address?" He interrogated, staring into my eyes.

"Sorry sir, I just wanted to apologize to him." I quickly reply, without wavering my voice. "Well, Actually I made the other box of cookies for Mr.Oh and Mr.Yoon, as a peace offering/apology on behalf of my family."

Chief Kwak rolled his eyes and sighed. "You know I can't give out that information."

"But sir, wasn't it you who said your job would be a lot easier if people could work out their problems diplomatically?" I calmly argue.