12. Tyler's Discovery (part I)

Start from the beginning

Tyler frowned, slipping the phone back into his pocket, and considered the possible options. Mathematically speaking, Tyler was fairly adept at numbers, he understood difficult problem solving, and he'd even managed to teach himself a bit of code, though nothing near enough to hack into a phone with sheer brute force. He was certain that if he really wanted to, he could probably look up how to do such a thing via YouTube, but that would take far more time than he had and honestly it would be far easier to write a series of potential number possibilities and run through the statistical likely hood of such numbers. Carrie wasn't dumb, he could admit that. They didn't like each other, but she was actually rather brilliant without even very much effort so the likelihood she would use any combination of important dates like their parents' birthdates or even her own seemed unlikely. Tyler concentrated, trying to remember some of the things she liked and any important dates that might have surrounded those, though, nothing sprang to mind.

The phone buzzed in his pocket, Tyler froze mid-stride, pulling the phone back out and examined it. There, on the front of the screen was a text message from Adamsxboytoyx3:

I hate physics, why is Mr. Barker like this?

Tyler eyed the phone in his hands for a brief moment, looking around the empty hallway he was currently standing in, he looked up towards the stairs, then back down at the message currently staring back at him. Mr. Barker was his physics teacher, it was the class he had just been meant to be in. Tyler ran through a series of students in his head that were in the class with him. Bounding up the stairs, he made his way towards the fifth floor when the bell rang out and students began pouring out of their respective classrooms. He groaned, debating whether or not he ought to go to his fourth period or to skip it. It was then, as Tyler paused at the top of the stairs of the fifth floor that he saw Damien walking past him, staring down at his phone, texting away frantically. Tyler raised an eyebrow. The phone in his hand buzzed again.

Adamsxboytoyx3: Thank fuck that's over. I'm so ready for lunch, I'm starving and I'd kill for a drink. Ugh. :P

Tyler stared down at the phone, then over at Damien, his eyes widened, he smirked, pocketing his sister's phone and crossed the space that separated him and Damien, pulling him into one of the disused classrooms with a grin. Damien glowered at him, but Tyler merely smirked triumphantly. It was all coming together, he thought.

"What the fuck do you want?" Damien demanded.

"Who's Adamsboytoy3?" Tyler asked, folding his arms across his chest. Damien blanched. The color drained from his face, and he looked rather ill, as though he might faint. "It's you isn't it?" he demanded. Damien swallowed hard, Tyler grinned, he couldn't help it. It was just so delicious. "So, what does it mean?"

Damien rolled his eyes then, "You can't prove it's me."

"Does it matter?" he asked.

Damien eyed him, clearly trying to look braver than he felt, "A quick Google search will tell me all I need to know about that name, and once I know, all I have to do is let it slip to the entire school. Frankly whether it's you or not would be irrelevant at that point. All anyone will care about is whatever it is you're hiding and something tells me it's juicy."

Damien snorted, "Sure of that are you?"

"You look pretty pale Dame, I think we both know you're hiding something potentially life-changing, the question is what? Does it have something to do with you and Oliver?" he asked with a smirk.

"What do you want?" Damien asked it was all the confirmation he needed. It was too easy.

"Whatever would make you think I wanted anything from you?" Tyler asked, in a saccharine tone.

"You're clearly trying to extort something out of me, otherwise why would you have brought it up to me at all? You're threatening me and want nothing from me? Come on now, I'm not dumb enough to believe that."

Tyler laughed, "Fair enough I suppose. But the truth is, you have nothing I want."

"So you're not going to tell people then?"

"Oh no, I probably will, but that's the fun, because now I have something to hold over on you," he said. "Think of it as insurance. You've been nothing but a pain in my ass since the day we started here, and frankly knowing that I have just a little glimmer of information that you don't want to get out, well, you could just imagine all the fun I could have there."

"If you're hoping to convince me to what, get down on my knees and beg you not to release it you're out of your mind."

"Frankly if you were going to be on your knees for me you could do a lot better than beg, though I doubt you'd even be capable of doing that properly. No, no need to beg, just know that at any time, for any reason at all, I may decide to share what I know," he said simply.

Damien snorted, "How is it possible that we were friends once upon a time?"

"You stabbed me in the back," Tyler replied with a shrug. "I just consider this a bit of getting even."

"Getting even? I've known Gavin since the third grade I knew you because of him, do not act as though I owed you more loyalty than I owed him. If you'd just kept your mouth to yourself none of this would have even happened."

"And if you had kept your mouth shut this never would have happened! But no, you had to go and ruin my relationship and now, you need to know what it feels like to lose everything!"Tyler yelled.

"What do I have to lose?" Damien shouted back. "You've taken literally everything at this point. All of the people I considered friends, you already turned against me, so what else is there? No one in this school will even talk to me or spare me a second glance because you poisoned every single one of them against me, I couldn't even be on the lacrosse team this year, so what the fuck is left? What do you think I still have that you don't?" Tyler smirked despite himself. It wasn't true of course, Damien still had Carrie, and Oliver. Not that he was interested in either of them, but that didn't mean that Damien deserved them. Frankly, he had been surprised and more than a little disappointed that Oliver had turned on him so quickly for Damien. What does he have that I don't? Tyler had wondered. No matter, Carrie and Oliver may have been conned into feeling sorry for Damien, but the rest of the school would know the truth.

Tyler shrugged, "Maybe if you'd been a better friend it wouldn't have been necessary."

Damien sighed looking rather enraged and for a brief moment, Tyler braced himself for the other boy to attack. Damien shook his head, "Do whatever you want," he said sounding rather defeated. "I'm so beyond tired of fighting with you." Before Tyler could manage to get out any sort of argument, Damien turned on his heel and left the room. Tyler stood there, glued to the spot. He frowned, it was hardly fun to have something to hold over on someone when they didn't seem all that upset by it. The bell rang again and Tyler exhaled a loud, annoyed breath and decided to make his way down to his next class.

 The bell rang again and Tyler exhaled a loud, annoyed breath and decided to make his way down to his next class