Part Seventeen

Dinner that Friday was going to be homemade pizza and popcorn. Aiden had been on his best behavior all week and had eaten every vegetable she had put in front of him. This, of course, did not include peas or cauliflower, which he had blatantly refused to touch (not that she blamed him; she tended to agree that peas were, in fact, "yuck").

Tonight's dinner was going to be a reward. She had mad one cheese pizza, one sausage and pepperoni, and one covered in chopped vegetables: squash, broccoli, onion, peppers, and asparagus. This one had been cooling on the counter and she had been trying (and failing) to resist eating bits of vegetables as they waited on the crust of the last pizza to get that golden hue that let them know it was finished.

"I pick movie?" Aiden asked, grabbing for her phone. He had been sitting patiently and working on a puzzle up until this point. She glanced over at him, his face bright and eager.

Disney Plus had opened a whole new world of opportunities for this kid.

"Sure, buddy. Give me just a minute to pull this last pizza out of the oven."

No sooner had she said it before she heard the back door open and close. She glanced at the time on the stove. He's home early.

Adrian made his way into the kitchen, and she could tell, upon seeing him, that he wasn't in a great mood.

"Hi!" Aiden jumped down from his seat and ran to his brother, laughing when he was swept up in the air for a hug.

"Hey, Aid. How's my buddy?"

Kid couldn't put her finger on it, but even though he was obviously happy to see Aiden, Adrian seemed... off. It's probably just stress.

"Pizza for dinner?" Aiden asked. His voice was somewhat muffled, as he was now being held upside down by his legs, and he was laughing too hard to speak clearly. Adrian gently put him down.

"Pizza?" He asked her.

She smiled. "He had a really good week. So, pizza it is."

Aiden jumped with delight. "And popcorn! And movie!"

Adrian smiled, but he didn't quite meet her eyes when he looked at her. "That sounds like a great idea."

Yes, something was off. But what was it? She didn't really have time to analyze the situation, however, because he was making his way to a cabinet and was pulling out a stovetop popcorn maker. She balked. "You have one of those?"

He frowned, plopping the pot on the stove. "This is pretty much the only proper way to eat popcorn at home. Have you not had it this way?"

She hadn't. In fact, the bags of popcorn she had purchased for the occasion had been tossed on the counter and were still lying there. She hadn't even considered that they would make it on the stove. "No."

"Just wait. You'll love it." He smiled at her, but even in that small expression he still seemed... nervous? Annoyed? She couldn't put her finger on it. Maybe she was over-analyzing the situation?

Oil and popcorn kernels met the pot, and Adrian closed the lid. He began turning the little wooden crank, and she could hear the kernels inside moving along.

The oven beeped.

"Uh, sorry. Can I...?" She reached for the oven mitts as he leaned out of the way. The movement was awkward, and it only served to heighten the strange tension in the room.

"Movie now?" Aiden asked, already making his way toward the kitchen door.

"Sure, bud." Kid sat the tray gently on the top of the stove, keeping distance between herself and the popcorn maker. But as he bounded out of the room and she became aware of being alone with his brother, she almost wished she hadn't let him go.