Chapter 25: Written In Permanent Sharpie

Start from the beginning

"Neither are you." I pulled back, "So let's go meet your family and friends and hope they don't shoot me."

"Let's hope the Moon Goddess watches out for us then." He swung his arm around my shoulder as we walked out of the cave.

I smirked, "Look at you having faith."

"What can I say, you made me a believer." He shrugged. 

As I shifted, Callum started helping the others with their bulletproof vests just in case our plan doesn't work as smoothly as I'm hoping. 

I couldn't help but roll my eyes as he pulled the strap to tighten Finn's vest a little too much and the wolf growled at him.

How did I ever think bringing these two together was a good idea?

Sighing, I made sure we were all packed up as we left our little camp. We would probably arrive in Fairbairn at five in the evening if we sped up a bit. 

But of course, there were rogues. Four of them.

They either found the body of the one we took out yesterday or our cover had been blown because they sure as hell didn't seem surprised. 

'Make sure Callum doesn't shoot.' I mind linked Abel as I lunged forward and grabbed onto the neck of a rogue. 

As I Alpha, I was strong, but these rogues seemed uncharacteristically strong for being out of a pack. Just like the she-wolf from yesterday. 

Before I could knock the rogue down with my paws, another ran into me and pummeled me into the floor. 

I looked to see Finn chasing after the rogue as he loomed over me with silver berry teeth. But before his teeth could come any near me Callum was at the side of the wolf delivering a shot.

I waited for the loud ring of the gunshot to echo through the woods but as the rogue's heavy body feel on me, I heard nothing. 

Pushing the body off me, Callum gave me a grim look, "I have a silencer on the gun."

Oh. Well, thank the Moon Goddess because any loud noise would have just dragged more rogues our way.

Getting to my feet, I helped Minna out with a rogue by biting on his tail and dragging his body to the ground before she bit into his jugular. 

Abel, Kelly, Ross, George, and Finn took care of the other two by the time the rogue bled out. 

"I'm fighting beside you, remember. Not for you and not behind you." Callum said sternly as he tucked his gun away and some of my fur back. 

Giving him a wolfie nod, I motioned for him to get back on Abel so we could get out of here before anymore showed up.

The wolf in me really wanted to roll over and get a belly rub but we didn't have that kind of time.

'Something is up with these rogues.' I mused to my group of six wolves. 

'They're a lot stronger for one.' Ross muttered as he eyed Finn. 'One even knocked back Finn as if he weighed nothing before heading for you.'

'Shit.' I groaned, 'It's like all these little pieces to a large puzzle and I can't wrap my head the big picture.'

'Do you think the humans will be able to help with that?' Kelly asked.

'I don't know, it seems unlikely that they'd come across any rogues. Our best bet is to find the main source for these rogues. Maybe their location or a leader.'

'Like a faux Alpha of the rogues?' Abel asked with wide eyes.

The thought struck me, what if that's a thing? A wolf forming his own pack from rogues.