Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

   Raf stepped forward, obviously anxious. "If the Cons are still out there, won't Earth be on their radar?"

   "Raf, if you ever need me," Bumblebee moved to meet the younger boy. "Need us, for any reason, we're just a space bridge away."

   "Besides," Agent Fowler spoke up. "We'll be in good hands with you, Amanda, Jack, Finn, and Miko continuing to service Unit-E." Upon receiving a look from Mrs. Darby, he added, "In a semi-official capacity."

   "Woah!" Miko exclaimed. "We're agents?!"

   "Consultants!" Mrs. Darby corrected, though a small smile was on her face. "Until you're of age."

   Ratchet stepped towards us. "I trust that Unit-E doesn't have any rules forbidding the enlistment of rusty, old Autobot consultants?"

   My eyebrows shot up in surprise, I think everyone's did. "Really?"

   "You of all-" Arcee started, her tone as shocked as mine.

   "Ep, ep, ep!" The medic cut her off. "I know where I am needed."

   With that settled, the Autobots dispersed, grabbing all of their belongings from the base. Raf went straight to Bumblebee and the pair had a heart to heart, while Miko finally broke down and went to Bulkhead, who was sitting cross legged on the ground, and held her while she cried. Jack and Arcee were talking in low tones, both looking remorseful, and Finn was reassuring Smokescreen that he'd keep the rookie updated on his favorite race cars. Ultra Magnus was having a few words with Ratchet and Agent Fowler, and all three of them looked down. As for me...

   I didn't know what to think. I was as heartbroken as the others, saying goodbye to the family that had kept me together through the past couple of years. While I was overjoyed that they got their home back, I was also unhappy because it meant that the Autobots would leave. What would life be like without them at this point? Without Bulkhead and Miko pairing up to make the loudest duo in their little band? Without Bumblebee and Raf always raving on about their newest car racing game? Without Arcee and Jack bragging about the cool maneuvers they could do? Without Smokescreen and Finn arguing about who was right in the smallest arguments they had? Without Ultra Magnus and Wheeljack constantly proving to each other that they could do whatever they wanted (mostly on Wheeljack's part, but still)? Without Optimus...

   I knew the day would come where I'd have to say goodbye, but part of me hoped it never would. I should be happy; it could have been a sorrow filled goodbye or a grief stricken one, but instead it was sort of happy. Still...

   I hadn't even realized the Prime had walked up to where I stood on the edge of the platform until just then. He leaned down a bit so that we were eye level, and his eyes were focused on me.

   "I guess this is it then," I sighed, giving him a small smile while I tried to blink back the sudden tears that pricked my eyes.

   "It is far from the end," he reminded me.

   "I know but," I shrugged, trying to downplay my grief. "It'll be really different without you around everyday. All of you. But especially you. Now, I have to say this or else I'll never be able to," I took a deep breath, remembering the words I've wanted him to hear almost everyday but could never bring myself to say. "Optimus, you're the greatest hero of both Earth and Cybertron. I don't need to be the Champion of Cleona to see that. You're brave, almost to a fault, you're compassionate, you're loyal, and I think your only downfall is the fact that you're way too heroic."

  That got me a small smile, but that only made me tear up more as I continued. "And I don't know what I would've done without you. If you hadn't been on my lawn that day, it feels like ages ago, but if that never happened... I don't know what would have happened. I know I wouldn't be nearly the person I am today. Somehow you managed to take the most stubborn, difficult human around and make me into who I am today, and I'll always be grateful." I had to pause to take another shaky breath before continuing. "You showed me what it's like to have a family again. I never knew my biological dad and that always bothered me, but ever since meeting you, ever since we became close... I haven't felt that gap. We may be from different planets entirely, but you are my dad, Optimus, and I will forever cherish that."

  My tears broke free by this point, but I smiled regardless. "So thank you, Optimus. Not just for saving Earth a million, but for saving me every single day."

   "Amanda," He reached forward and gently tucked a finger under my chin, making me look up at him. "I should thank you as well, for you have been one of the reasons I have continued to fight. It is difficult to be at war, especially for so long, and even I was beginning to lose hope. Until you reminded me what I was fighting for. Home. Family. You have grown into an incredible person, one that I take great pride in calling my daughter, and you will continue to grow to become the leader I know you to be."

   I smiled and wiped away my tears. "Promise to show me your favorite places on Cybertron one day?"

   He gave me that small smile that always managed to banish my doubts. "Of course."

   "Good," I leaned over the railing to peck a kiss on his cheek. "I'll see you soon, Optimus."

   The Prime smiled again before backing away to join the Autobots, who had gathered at the mouth of the space bridge, and I headed down the platform stairs to join Miko, Finn, Raf, Jack, Agent Fowler and Mrs. Darby, who gathered to the side. As Optimus walked by Ratchet, he put a hand on the medic's shoulder.

   "Until we meet again, old friend," The Prime said, and Ratchet nodded, a smile on his face as he opened the ground bridge. Ultra Magnus walked through first, and I caught the commander's eye before he walked through, allowing me to nod, which earned me a small smile. Wheeljack and Smokescreen soon followed, then Bumblebee, Arcee and Bulkhead. Finally, Optimus approached the space bridge, but he paused, glancing back at us, his gaze focusing on me.

   I gave him a smile, hoping that my expression told him everything I couldn't say. When he nodded, his signature small smile was on his face, I sensed he knew exactly what I meant.

   And with that, Optimus Prime walked through the space bridge.