Chapter 18 - Please Don't Die

Newt’s P.O.V

            I pace around the glade, ordering people to look for her. No one has seen her Since last night at dinner. It is already noon. We’ve looked everywhere for her, the Deadheads, the homestead, the kitchen, everywhere and still no sign of her. I bite mynails. We need to find her. I can’t loose her, not now and not ever. What if she ran out into the maze? I shiver at the thought. She wouldn’t do that. She promised me she would never leave me. I start to panic and I can feel myself drifting off into depression yet again. We need to find her. I head into the deadheads and sit down in the corner. I start to cry. She was my hope, my hope of this place not being as bad and my hope that there is actually something better outside this maze. I don’t cry for long because Thomas comes barging through the forest. I stand up as he stops in front of me with a worried expression.

“Did you find her?” I ask hope rising in me. His eyes fill with fear.

“No but I need to tell you something.” He says. All the hope drains out of me.

“Then bloody tell me!” I say.

“Zoe and I can talk to each other. In our heads.” He says. First I think it’s some kind of joke but then he looks at me seriously.

“What do you mean you can talk to each other in your bloody heads?” I ask. He starts explaining to me how Zoe and him have some sort of power to let them talk to each other in their heads and how they’ve known how to do this for a couple of days and they have been talking in their heads a lot. He also tells me that when Zoe went missing he talked to her but she just shouted at him and never told him where she was.

“Ok?” I ask with my heart breaking.

“I heard her thinking about something this morning and now I’m afraid she has

done it.” He says sadly.

“Then tell me!” I say with my heart racing. He looks up to me with sorrow in his

eyes.

“She was thinking about jumping off a maze wall.” He says in a cold, scared voice. I

look up to him with fear now trembling through me.

“How do you know she has done it? Did you tell her not to?” I ask with a shaky voice.

“Of course I tried to shucking talk her out of it! But she said something that has

gotten me scared.” He pauses.

“Tell me!” I raise my voice a little with a steady voice.

“She told me to tell you that she didn’t mean to and she is sorry.” He says. I start

trembling more. Tears are now streaming down my face. He rests a reassuring hand

on my shoulder and I shake it off. She… She can’t be dead. She promised she

wouldn’t leave me. I collapse to the ground only to stand up again when I hear

shouting from the glade. I run and crash through the dark forest as fast as my bad

limp will allow me. I stop when I see Minho running to the homestead with

something, or should I say someone in his arms. I run towards him and see a trail

of blood leading to the homestead and my fears take over me. I turn to Chuck who

is looking pale and sad. He looks at me with sorrow in his eyes and I start to panic.

“That was her wasn’t it?” I ask him with my voice shaking uncontrollably.

He nods his head. Dread washes through me and I run inside the homestead and up

The stairs. I barge into the first med jack room. No one. I run to our only other one

And see Clint, Jeff and Minho standing over a bed. I push through them and see

Something I feared. Zoe lying on the bed, covered in blood her leg messed up and

Bleeding, her hair is tangled and matted in blood. My heart starts to pounds harder

and faster.

“Do something help her!” I demand to Clint and Jeff. They push Minho and I out of

the room. Everything inside of me sinks. She could be dead. Minho puts a reassuring

hand on my shoulder.

“She’ll be okay.” He says. I shake my head.

“What if she isn’t Minho? Thomas just said she was thinkin about bloody killin

Herself!” I yell at him, not meaning to.

“How does he know she was thinking about that?” He asks. I told him about how

Thomas told me about their weird telepathic power. After I am finished he just

stares at me like I am crazy. I ignore him and start walking to my bedroom. Minho calls after me and I just ignore him. I want to shut out the world. I just want to talk to Zoe. I slam my door shut as I walk in. I flop down on my bed and shove my face in my pillow. I start to sob. Why does this world hate me? Why does my life hate me? I slowly drift off into sleep hoping to wake up tomorrow and Zoe be up and in my arms.

            The next morning I get up I immediately go to her med jack room. I walk in and see her. No one else is in the room. I look over at her. She has her eyes closed and lying on her back with a bandage wrapped around her head and her leg propped up on a couple pillows. I bring a chair next to her bed. She looks cleaner then she did yesterday when I saw her. No more blood. I take her hand in mine and squeeze it gently. I rest my forehead on her arm and close my eyes.

“Zoe if you can hear me please don’t die. Please wake up. I know you are stronger then that please, please wake up.” I say. I let a tear drip down my cheek.

“Please wake up.”

A/N Hey everyone reading my story. Just wanted to say Thank you! And I have some questions.

1. Should I bring Teresa into the story?

2. Who do you think would be a good Zoe? 

That's all my questions. See ya later!

Please vote, comment, rate, follow! Thanks :)