Not the Same

Jimin

"Wow. You picked a great place. I'm jelly. I want my own place now!"
I roll my eyes. "I don't think Jungkook would be okay with you moving out on your own and leaving him behind."
Jin pouts, setting Chaerin down to play on the large soft blanket we laid out on the living room floor for the kids to play on.
Hoseok immediately moves into the kitchen to rummage through the fridge.
I set down the bags and plop on the couch, curling up and turning on the huge flat screen that came with the apartment—or so Namjoon says. I have my doubts, though.
I officially moved in a week ago with Namjoon and Jungkook's help. Ive managed to make it my own with my personality here and there. It's warm and cozy and me.
With a scatter of Ryujin's toys, of course.
"Look at this view! Holy hell! How did you get this place, Minie?! It's amazing." Jin squeals, walking out onto the balcony to see the city from below.
I smile, happy they approve. "It was Namjoon that helped me get this place."
They both turn to look at me. "Is it just me or is there a lot of Namjoon around you lately? Like, more than usual?" They give each other teasingly knowing looks.
I frown. "He's the father of my child and ex mate. Why can't I accept his help?" Defensive. Why are they always pushing this issue?
Hoseok throws his hands up in surrender. "You can! We aren't saying you can't. It's just...it just doesn't seem that you're moving on, is all."
Jin nods, sitting down beside me. "Do you feel anything for him? You haven't mentioned your new guy much lately..."
"Jaehyun is busy working. He's in college, remember? I don't want to burden him on top of his stress."
     "Hasn't he been dying for a piece of you, though? Now your a burden?" Jin frowns. "You haven't slept with him yet have you?!"
     "No! We haven't done anything more than kiss." I admit. "I haven't even invited him over here yet."
     "Yet." Hoseok scoffs, giving me a look. "Be careful, Jimin. I don't want you to be used. That kid is young and maybe he thinks your only good for sex."
     "He wouldn't have chased me for so long and put in so much effort for just sex. I also made it clear that I wouldn't be doing that anytime soon."
     They both nod in approval.
    "Good. Just don't jump in and fall head over heels for a little boy that doesn't know what he wants right now."
    "Can you guys please give me more credit than that please?"
    "Sorry."
    "You're right. We trust you. We just love and worry about you."
     We let the subject drop and focus on making dinner and spending time with the kids. Eventually, Jungkook and Yoongi make their way over to pick up their mates and babies.
      I'm secretly envious as they kiss and cuddle close to their mates before leaving me alone with Ryujin. I look around my lonely apartment and try to find the light in the darkness.
     My phone rings and pulls me from the brink of depression. Jaehyun. I smile.
    "Hey. Are you still working?"
    "Ah, I just got off. I was wondering if maybe I could stop by your new place and visit for awhile. I miss your cute face."
     A blush spreads over my cheeks. "S-sure. I'm just about to put Ryujin in bed. We'll have to be quiet but you can stay awhile."
     "Great. Give me the address and I'll be right over."
     I do so before hanging up and running around to clean up and dress myself up. I don't want him to see me looking like a slob. Once satisfied, I put Ryujin to bed and make some drinks for me and Jaehyun just as the doorbell rings.
     I open the door to see him flushed from the cold and holding up a big bag with a smile. "I come baring gifts!"
     Grinning, I let him in and he takes the bag to the kitchen, pulling out deciduous take out and a bottle of wine.
     He pushes another bag to me and I peak in, my mouth going dry at what's inside. "I-is that..."
     "Yup." He lifts the box out of the bag and opens the diamond ring out. "May I?"
    I clench my hand into a fist nervously. "You shouldn't have spent so much money on something like that."
    He studies my expression before laughing softly. "I don't mind. I make a lot from my many jobs and I wanted to get you something special. Don't worry—it's not an engagement ring. It's a...promise ring, I guess. Would you please wear it for me?" His youthful face lights up with hope and pity.
     "A p-promise ring?"
    "Yeah. I like you a lot but I'm not that crazy. We've only been dating a few weeks now." He smiles, grasping my hand and forcing the ring on to my trembling fingers. "It looks amazing on you. The sparkle really reflects your flawless skin." He observes.
     I raise my hand—luckily he didn't put it on my third left finger—and have to admit he's right. It looks nice on my hand. Feels even nicer. "It's really too much, Jae."
     Pulling me into his arms, he tilts my face up and kisses me. "I don't think so. You deserve more and one day I'll be able to afford it."
     A pit grows in my stomach at the thought of a future with him. Why? Isn't that a good thing? I should be beaming with joy, right? He's perfect. Nice and considerate. He treats me extremely well. He's patient and understanding and accepts my daughter. What more could I ask for?
     I gaze up into his eyes, conflicted. He stares back with a much clearer intention. His dark eyes displaying love, appreciation and...lust.
     Does he expect me to let him fuck me for this? Should I? In the past we would have ended up in the bed the first week together. I've changed and grown but...he's probably still in that stage. Expecting something in return.
     "Jae..."
    He blinks and gently pushes me back, releasing me. "Let's eat before the food gets cold. I'll pour you a drink. Go sit, baby." He urges me into the living room.
    I sit and agonize over what to do. What is he expecting from me tonight? Ryujin is here. We can't do that. Even if she wasn't here...would I be ready? Oh god...I feel sick.
     He comes in with a tray carrying our food and drinks. We settle on the floor across from each other at the coffee table and begin enjoying the peaceful silence of our late night date.
     The ring keeps catching in the light and drawing my attention. Sparkling so brightly. I'm reminded of every single time Namjoon bought me something in the past and expected me to pay back with my body.
     A shudder runs through my body but I try to hide it. Don't think of such stupid things now...
    "You cold?" He scoots close to me and drapes his coat over my shoulders. It's warm and smells amazing.
     "Thanks."
     We finish eating and move up to the couch to watch a movie. We trade out the coat for a soft and cozy blanket and snuggle up under it. Its nice. It feels really nice. I lay comfortably on his chest as he holds me in his arms, rubbing my back under the blanket.
     "Jimin...thank you for letting me come over."
     I peak up from his chest. "It's not a big deal."
     His hand on my back pauses. "I think we both know it is. I want you to feel that you can trust me. I'm not going to rush you or push you to do anything you don't want or aren't ready for. You know that, right?"
     I frown, nawing my bottom lip. "Am I that obvious?"
    "I can feel your stress and worry since I came in. I'm not going to jump you." He chuckles, messily running hand through my hair. "I just came to spend some time with you. I bought you that gift because I wanted to and thought it'd look nice on you. Not because I expect anything in return."
     I sigh, lifting up to peck his lips. "Are you sure you're real? You have to be from my imagination."
    "That's a compliment, right?"
     I was silly to think he'd treat me the way Namjoon used to. He's so different. Stealing my resolve to give him something in return, I meet his affectionate gaze. "Can you...stay over tonight?"
     A spark of mischief appears within the dark depths of his eyes before it disappears just as suddenly as it appeared. It sends a shiver down my spine. His grip tightens on my body.
     "Are you saying...what I think you're saying?"
     I lick my lips. "Maybe. Why don't you just sleep over and we can see where it goes?" Maybe...just maybe...
    "I can accept that but don't pressure yourself, baby. I'm not your ex lover. I'm happy as we are now."
     I'm really lucky, right?