Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

   I sighed and nodded. "I guess you're right."

   You had better not get hurt, Optimus, or I will be seriously mad.

~~~

   While the Autobots, Jack, Miko, Finn, Raf, and Agent Fowler talked to each other to keep themselves busy, I sat in front of a computer, eyes locked on the screen as I watched Optimus' icon cross the map. He'd been out there for just over an hour, and I had successfully chewed my lip so much that I was having a hard time to stop it from bleeding. The metallic taste was gross, but it took my mind off of things for awhile. But now it had stopped and I couldn't bring myself to join the others' conversations. I'd fought off the urge to call Optimus, knowing that he'd have to be focused on the task at hand, but at this point I didn't care anymore.

   Technically I am in charge of communications right now, and checking in would be part of my job. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong. Just doing my job.

   Still, Ultra Magnus did tell me to tell him about any developments. And I'd rather not have the commander mad at me, not when I finally managed to get on his good side.

   "Ultra Magnus?" I called, and the commander turned to me. "I'm going to check in on Optimus."

   He nodded and approached the platform where I was sitting, which got the attention of the others. "Good timing. We do need to inquire on his position."

  Taking that as a yes, I patched myself through the comm channel, and the Prime picked up immediately.

  "Hey Optimus," I said. "How's it going? Is everything alright up there?"

   "So far, Amanda," he replied.

   "What happens when the Cons ID Laserbeak's signal?" Jack asked as he, Finn, Miko, Raf, and Agent Fowler came up behind me to overlook my computer screen.

   "We're counting on Optimus making visual contact with the warship before its radar can detect Chip," Raf explained.

   "Counting on?" I sputtered. They didn't tell me that part of the plan.

   Wheeljack gave me a calm look. "The boss will be fine," He said assuringly.

   "It's not just Optimus I'm worried about," Arcee spoke up. "What about Ratchet? Amanda had that vision, he is working with the Cons."

   "He's buying time," Raf said defensively, then turned to me. "You saw it, right A? He didn't want to!"

   I put a hand on his shoulder. "We aren't saying he's a Con, Raf. It's just that Ratchet has always been eager to use his scientific knowledge to revive Cybertron, and the Cons gave him the opportunity to. But you're right, he didn't sound all that happy to comply to Megatron's rule in my vision. And he also knows that they need the powers of Cleona to restore the Omega Lock. I'm still here so they've got no way of doing that. They're not going to succeed."

   "Amanda is correct," Optimus said over the comm channel. "The Decepticons will not be able to use their Omega Lock to restore Cybertron without the power of Primus, and Amanda is the sole being with that power. While Soundwave may have attempted to kidnap Amanda, he did not prevail and neither will the rest of the Decepticons."

   "So we're good," I summarized and then turned back to my computer. "Do you see anything yet, Optimus?"

   "No," he admitted. "I am afraid there still may be quite the travel ahead of me."

   "Hang in there," I said. "I can sense you getting closer to a large amount of Cybertronian metal, so you're getting there." I lowered my voice then. "Be careful. The closer you get, the more likely they'll find you."

  "Understood, Amanda," He said, but his attempts at reassurance were falling short.

   Agent Fowler made a grunting noise. "Looks like he's flying into a thunderstorm."

   I scrubbed my hands over my face. "That's not a good omen."

   Miko was at my side in an instant. "Don't worry, A, thunder and lightning just makes things epic!"

   Then another icon appeared on the screen, which made Miko groan.

   "Not the best timing, Con," she grumbled.

   "Optimus," I warned.

   "I see Starscream," The Prime confirmed. "Signing off."

   There was a click, and the chanel closed. I whipped my gaze to Ultra Magnus.

   "Isn't there something we can do yet?" I demanded.

   He shook his head. "We can only trust that Optimus will be able to hold his ground."

   "Dude, he's flying," Miko commented.

   "Miko," Jack scolded.

   "Just saying!"

   Several more icons appeared on my screen as more Decepticons converged on Optimus.

   "Scrap," I muttered. "That's got to be Starscream's troops."

   "Optimus can take him," Smokescreen boasted. "All of them."

   Still, all of our eyes were glued onto the screen as the icons flew around. Then one turned away suddenly, heading in the direction Optimus had been originally traveling.

   "Where's that guy going?" Finn asked the question on everyone's minds.

   No one replied for a long moment before it dawned on me.

   "He's going after Chip," I said, smacking my forehead. "They didn't just stumble across Optimus. They picked up Chip's frequency on their systems and were tracking it. Now that guy- who I'm assuming is Starscream- is going after Chip."

   "But if they picked up Chip's signal..." Arcee started.

   Bumblebee buzzed eagerly.

   "Bee's right!" Raf exclaimed. "The ship is basically there!" He turned to me then. "Can you lock onto Optimus' coordinates and use them to sense the warship?"

   I closed my eyes, really focusing on Optimus until I could see exactly where he was flying. I saw the Prime searching through the storm clouds around him, having lost Chip as his guide, and then pushed my powers farther, scanning the area.

   Come on, come on, it has to be around somewhere.

   Then I realized I wasn't looking right. Instead of blindly searching, I channeled my powers from Optimus to seek Ratchet. It required more focus, but then my vision light up silver.

   "I have to coordinates!" I announced, quickly punching them into the ground bridge controls.

   That sent everyone into motion. Ultra Magnus stood tall, looking down at the Autobots with that commander expression.

   "Autobots," He said, voice solid. "Prepare for battle. Amanda, continue to monitor the situation and the communication channels. Raf and Jack, you are in charge of the ground bridges. Miko, Finn, Agent Fowler, remain on standby."

   Miko grinned, plopping down to sit beside me. "Show time."