Clashing Guilds Arc: Chapter 45 - Connected Bonds

Beginne am Anfang

"Because.....of me."

As Irokei continued, I listened on, clearly not understanding what she had just said. Enchanted weapons? The idea just didn't seem believable. Weapons just can't be granted enchantments in SAO, especially by players.

"That skill...just appeared in one of my skill slots one day. I can't explain how it happened, but I've been using it for some time ever since I first knew I had it. I can enchant weapons with buffs of different colours. Each colour represents a different kind of buff. When I attack a player with an enchanted weapon, it passes on the buff to the player instead of dealing damage...."

"Calm...Calm down, Iro. You're kinda out of breath." I said, not moving an inch. I didn't want to disturb Irokei's tense grip on my arm, seeing as she was using all her courage to explain one of her secrets to me.

I assumed that it was a secret, but it was one that Irokei was willing to tell me about. This skill, as overpowered as it looks, had unknown unlock conditions, much like the Bow & Arrow skill. But it held even more mysteries, being a skill that no other player thinks that it exists.

A powerful skill granted to only a select few players, maybe even only Irokei herself. This was most definitely an Extra Skill, I was sure of it.

"Does it have a name?" I asked after staring at Irokei for a short while.

"... Rainbow Gift." Irokei nodded slowly.

.....Gift?

Where have I heard of that before?

My mind wandered away from that sudden deja vu, as I looked at Irokei again, who was feeling down the whole time I was in the room.

"You look like you just got thrashed by some enemy mobs out there." I simply commented.

"It's...it's just that, I should have told you about that skill in the incident." Irokei's voice croaked, as tears ran down her cheeks. "I...I shouldn't have just aimed at you back then...!"

She rested her head on my left shoulder, while sobbing. In an instant, all my desires to move my body had vanished, as I felt the warm sensation of feminine cheeks pressed against my upper arm.

"So you're still bugged about that, huh?" I spoke gently, trying my hardest to look straight at the door, which was across the room.

"It's not your fault, Iro. You couldn't possibly just tell me about your skill. It's your skill, so it's your right whether you want to reveal it or not. Besides, if you hadn't buffed me back then, I wouldn't have stood a chance against Hallow. As for when I was pierced by your arrow though..."

I paused, before continuing with a smile.

"I'm just glad that it wasn't an arrow aimed with the intention to kill me. That's all that matters. So don't blame yourself, Iro. Your arrow's meant to support players, not to kill them."

I couldn't have thought of a more effective way of comforting my dear friend. It was the best thing I could do to help her get through her mental plight.

Sudden knocks on the door a while after, startling Irokei into getting up. She went to the door, her slow and heavy steps ringing the ground as she moved. Another familiar face appeared as the door swung open.

"Nicholas..." I said, still focused on the warm sensation on my left arm.

"Zen! I never expected you to be here at such an hour! I feel like I'm interrupting something..." The Sea Company Leader spoke cheekily, taking swift glances at Irokei and me.

"There...There's nothing for you to interrupt!" Irokei rebutted, never noticing that her cheeks were starting to be crimson red.

"We were just having a nice...and friendly...talk." I held out both my hands in defense. If Nicholas had seen the sight of Irokei leaning onto me, I would have an even tougher time getting out of the Sea Company dormitories without any misunderstandings.

"Well, as much as you guys want your bonding session to last," Nicholas brought down his menu. "It's seriously getting late. You better be getting back, Zen. For the second meeting tomorrow."

"Bonding...session...?" Irokei turned to glance at me, her face showing obvious signs of embarrassment. Her casual clothes definitely didn't help clear the thought that she was currently thinking of. About both of us.

"Goddamnit, Nicholas." I sighed as I looked at Irokei going into blush overload. "I'll see myself out before things go insane here."

"Of course. You definitely wouldn't want to be here when the eruption happens." Nicholas winked.

"Ah you diam lah..." I gave an annoyed and careless reply in Singlish at the giggling Nicholas, as I headed for the door.

The door shut close behind me, as Nicholas turned to me, looking like he was waiting for something to happen.

"The eruption will happen.........right about now."

As soon as he said it, a series of muffled screams came from the room, before gradually dying out. Speechless as I was as I stared at the door, I turned back to Nicholas, whose smile was starting to make me feel uneasy.

"Well, that was brief. I guess Irokei's one of those types who get over it quick." Nicholas said while touching his chin. "By the way, you're blushing, Zen."

"It's just that...I've never seen her like that before..." I mumbled as I tried not to look away from Nicholas, who was staring at me teasingly.

"Just be a man and admit it."

"You know it's not that simple, love expert."

Nicholas simply chuckled, before starting to walk on. "I'll see you off just before we reach the Land Company dormitories."

"I know my way there, you know." I said, following him.

"It's only just a chat..."Nicholas's tone became a little less jovial. "About Irokei and her Rainbow Gift skill."

"You knew about it too?" I asked, surprised.

"Misuko found out about it first, when she chatted with Irokei during her recovery from the incident." Nicholas continued. "She then told the Company Leaders and Narnia about it, but she wanted you to hear it directly from Irokei. You are one of her closest friends, after all."

"Has anyone seen that skill in action?"

"No one except for you, as I've heard. Irokei used the Rainbow Gift skill on you in the incident, didn't she?"

As Nicholas and I walked on the dark pavement leading to the Land Company dormitories, I touched my spear on my back, and lost myself in my thoughts.

If Irokei hadn't enhanced my attack power before my duel with Hallow, it might have been me, lying on the ground, trying to stop his broadsword from impaling me. The reality was I wasn't a match for him. Sure, I wasn't that experienced in dealing with two-handed sword users, but I would never use that as an excuse in such a life and death situation.

That duel was rigged from the very start, and yet I still had a hell of a time getting Hallow to yield to me back then. I couldn't help but think that Hallow should have been the victor, not me.

I wasn't strong enough to fight him as an equal. That was the harsh truth I have come to realize when I was recovering from the incident.

"...I wanna get stronger." I mumbled, deep in my sea of thoughts and resolve.

"Everyone does."

Nicholas's voice seemed so clear and crisp in the silent night. He touched my shoulder, causing me to snap out of my thought process. We were already at the front door of the Land Company dormitories.

"Don't be late for tomorrow's meeting." Nicholas waved as he turned back onto the pavement. "You're the star of the show."

"Heh, don't worry." I waved back. "You think I'll be late for a meeting that discusses a guild war?"

As I went through the front door, the atmosphere of the Land Company dormitories returned to its silent state once more, ahead of the impending trouble that it would see soon enough.

=========================================================