Chapter 6

Chapter Six

The Elodians depart

Back in the privacy of her room Seraphina unwrapped the sword, it seemed more beautiful now.  She watched it glisten in the light before slipping it back in its sheath and placing it under her bed before rushing downstairs to say goodbye to Byron.  She had accomplished what she had set out to do, albeit with a little help but she had proved something to herself nonetheless.  Entering the bar she had now become accustomed to Byron in deep discussion with two young men. The bar was particularly full this morning and strangely there was very few people drinking or eating. Even more strangely it was quiet, too quiet.  Rosalyn entered behind Seraphina and placed some clean mugs on a shelf.

“What’s going on?” asked Seraphina, Rosalyn shrugged her shoulders. 

“I don’t know, its awfully quiet isn’t it? Father was up half the night talking to Trantor and this morning he’s hardly said two words.”

“Trantors here?”

Rosalyn smiled, “Yes got here late last night.”

“Why didn’t you tell me he’d come, where is he?”

“Went out first thing this morning, he should be back soon.”

“What’s he doing here? Did he say?”  Rosalyn looked away awkwardly.

“I was in bed when he came.”  She lied.

 It was obvious that he was here to escort her back home, but that did not seem to matter so much now.  Although she did wonder why her father hadn’t come.  The large wooden door of the tavern slowly creaked open and the rain poured through the gap making the floor glisten. Seraphina looked up and saw a small figure dressed in a wet dark woollen cloak, it was Trantor.  He struggled to shut the door against the wind and sat at the nearest table taking down his hood, rubbing the water from his face.  Byron made his excuses and set about getting a drink for him, Seraphina went and sat by her old friend who looked older than she remembered.  He smiled in a wistful manner before wagging his finger at her.

“Now then young lady, you’ve been causing all kinds of problems for your parents.”  Seraphina's shame was evident and Trantor suddenly felt sorry for her and softened his voice. 

“And fancy leaving a poor old man in the lurch with only his lazy son to help.”

She gave a sheepish smile as Trantor wrinkled up his lined forehead and gulped down the contents of the tankard that had been placed in front of him.

“If you don’t mind Trantor, why have you come?” Seraphina asked.

“That’s gratitude for you, coming out in the cold and wet at this time of year.  Your father was still out looking for you when the messenger came. Your mother would have come but she was to ill to travel, besides I had some business to tend to in Merton anyway”

“Is she alright?”

“Yes, don’t worry you haven’t killed her with worry just yet. Just the winter ailments catching up on her, I told her to stay at home in some relative warmth. Which reminds me.”  He rummaged around in his pocket and pulled out a small package of cloth and handed it to her.  Seraphina opened it carefully and inside was a beautiful comb made from a stone Seraphina had never seen, it was dark blue and flickered with flecks of black. 

“She imagined your hair would be quiet long by now.”

Seraphina starred at it, she had forgotten all about her birthday. A lump formed in her throat as she thought about her mother. She pictured Darea watching the hillside waiting for her daughter to come home, like Seraphina had promised. Only now did it dawn on her that she had behaved like a conceited fool and still she fought against the tears.