0 | Memories

Laughter filled the air as the sound of three pairs of running footsteps echoed across the busy Paris streets. The summer breeze flowed through the city as the last of the daylight shined on the kids heading home after a long day of fun and play. All was at peace.

        "Don't get left behind, Chloé!" One of them called over his shoulder. The girl next to him giggled at his comment as Chloé pouted at the two, heaving slightly, with her hands on her knees. 

        "Maybe if you didn't run so fast, I wouldn't be so—" Her eyes widened as she pointed at the rose-tainted sky, "Look!"

        The two followed her gaze and their jaws dropped in wonder as a flurry of white birds flew over the Seine. The soft wind picked up, carrying hundreds of flower petals and leaves onto the river. 

        Though the summer was ending and the friends knew that the next season would change their lives forever, nothing could stop them from exchanging warm smiles. They knew they would always have each other.

        It was magical.

~~~

Present day...

        'Flight 4816 is now boarding. All passengers please proceed to gate E17. Make sure to have your passport and boarding passes in hand as you approach...'

        Having heard a similar message for what felt like a thousand times, a certain blonde tuned out the rest of the announcement as the people around her stirred from their seats. Standing next to a window looking over San Francisco, she could not believe she was returning to her home city after all this time.

        It's been nine years... I wonder if— Her thoughts got cut off by a sudden vibration from her phone. The text was from her parents, wishing her a safe flight and sending her off with hugs. Although the blonde traveled without her parents before, this time felt a bit more daunting than usual for some reason. 

        She sighed, missing them already, and sent them a short message telling them how much she loved them and that she would send them lots of pictures.

        Putting her phone away inside her jacket pocket, her mind went back to a fonder time: when she and her friends were just kids and did stupid things for fun. She recalled the look on Monsieur Ramier's face when they dropped a half-cooked egg from one of the hotel windows on his perfectly round grey hat. Ironically enough, he was the guy known for his love of birds (particularly pigeons). 

        He must have been scarred, she chuckled at the memory. 

        Seeing more people join the line to the boarding desk, the teen gathered her carry-ons and made her way towards the crowd. Once she was through, she found her seat at 57A and settled beside the window. In no time, the plane was full and there was a buzz of excitement in the air. The blonde felt it too; in less than a day she would be reunited with her childhood friends! 

        Speaking of... She pulled out her phone and found one of her friends' contacts. After staring at the name for a decent minute, she put the phone away and made a mental note to send the text once she landed. 

        As the plane ripped off of the ground and took on new heights, the blonde watched her new home disappear out of sight. With a smile on her face, she pondered how her friends would react to her surprise visit.