Prologue: Smaug's Decision

The prologue and epilogue will be the only sections written in first person. The rest of the story will be written in third person.

__________________________________

People think that I am dead but they couldn't be more wrong. I am very much alive and they have seen me every now and then. I've created a secret opening leading in and out of Erebor.  I walk among the mortals of Lake Town as if I was one of them, gathering news of abroad. I need to make sure no creature dares to threaten my home. Over time I learned that the pathetic Dwarf king was killed in battle by a pale orc and the young prince proved himself as the new leader. If he is anything like his weak father, he will never rule as king under my mountain!

More disturbing than the threat on my mountain is that I have been sensing a power growing somewhere to the south, south-west. A power that I have not sensed in many years, one that is all too familiar to my race. It is a power that I both fear and hate. I try to get any information on the rise of such power but the residents of Lake Town seem oblivious to it. Perhaps the One Ring was found?

The latest news on the Dwarves irritates me the most. Word has it that the Dwarf prince is gathering a band together to take my mountain and gold away from me. Something that I will never allow.

I paced the inside of my abandoned mountain kingdom for days, coming up with a plan. I came across a statue of the now would be Dwarf king. His eyes lacked the lust for power that his father possessed. The statues eyes were filled with the pride of a noble leader. Perhaps, he'd be a great king for his race. What was I thinking, he may lead his pathetic race but it will never be here! I burned the statue with my fiery breath and then smashed it with my teeth.

After I destroyed the statue an idea dawned on me. I would leave the protection of my mountain and join the Dwarf princes quest in disguise. Traveling was always the best way to gather information and that growing power concerned me. However, I needed a disguise myself as an  asset that the company would need. A Dragon Slayer might be my best option. Though Dwarves are full of pride, none would dare to take on Smaug. When I attacked the mountain, they scurried beneath me like ants and fled. I have killed a few dragons in my lifetime, so I wouldn't be lying if I mentioned it to Thorin. I'll take on the name Hegda, which mean deceive, a fitting name.

I was afraid to leave my gold unguarded but I was the only one who knew a secret passage into the mountain. I would leave some traps that would slow intruders down and warn me that they were trespassing. I was also afraid to travel in my other form. It left me more vulnerable to that power I feared, but I would go. I needed to find out this presence I was feeling. I changed into my human form and searched for the appropriate armor.

After I found what I was looking for I left the mountain. I will join the Dwarves and toy with them, maybe get them to turn against each other. Traveling would give me a chance to find out if I was right about what I was sensing, and should it be that the One Ring was found, I'll kill whoever has it and cease it from their charred corpse.

Spoiling the Dwarves' plan would be an added bonus but slaying them when they arrive sounds more appealing. That prince, Thorin Oakenshield, will watch his precious people fall under my claws before the end of his days! I will slay them all.

____________________________________

Please review.

Feel free to call me out on mistakes. I welcome constructive criticism.

-JFDragonFire